Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the Supra Forums....i just sold my 94 Rx-7 and used most of the money i got for it to pay off the bank. I want a daily driver but also one i can have some fun in. :D I found a 91 Turbo Hard-top 5 speed with factory cd player and leather ( which wasn't in GREAT condition) it's red...and the paint was in pretty decent condition. That's what drew me in to look at it...it's had 2 owners. But the dealership says it has an exhaust leak. It also has 125,000 miles and their asking $4,500. Now first are they asking way too much.....and am I going to be having problems with that exhaust leak? Any input would be great guys...Thanks.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
IMO, for a dealership it sounds llike there asking way too little, there has too be something wrong with it. Does this "exhaust leak" create smoke? If so look for , white crap around the oil cap, overheating, rapidly fluctuating temperature needle, rough idle or gurgling noises. This car may have a BlownHeadgasket (BHG), or another problem.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Typenamehere said:
IMO, for a dealership it sounds llike there asking way too little, there has too be something wrong with it. Does this "exhaust leak" create smoke? If so look for , white crap around the oil cap, overheating, rapidly fluctuating temperature needle, rough idle or gurgling noises. This car may have a BlownHeadgasket (BHG), or another problem.
i agree, i paid almost 7k for mine a year and a half ago.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have yet to test drive it as of now...I plan on doing so tomorrow. I'll be sure to look into what you have said though...thanks for the info.....any more input would be great. Thanks guys

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
Well, I'd tell you that the MKIII supra is not a reliable daily driver, but did you drive the rx-7 daily? If you did, I don't think I have to tell you about unreliability.

JK, no offense intended.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Take it out and press it a bit. The temperature needle should point to exactly 1000 on the tachometer. If it moves higher than that, the exhaust gases are escaping into the water jacket through a blown head gasket.

Stop, leave the engine running and see if it's blowing a few bubbles into the coolant overflow tank.

Those things are for sure BHG. HOWEVER, don't reject the car immediately. I cam across one like that and bought it for $2000. A BHG can be fixed, the car isn't headed for the wrecker.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol it's cool man. And trust me I understand completly...but I'm hoping its more reliable then the rx-7...I went through 2 engines on that baby...so lol I don't plan on doing any huge mods like i did on my rx-7.....i blew my first engine just cuz of plain stupidy I got an intake downpipe and mid-pipe and catback and didn't get a Air/fuel computer to tune it...so POOF...there went that engine...and the other one....the people i took it to, to get get tuned did a horrible job and she leen'd out....so i made them buy me a new engine..then i sold it...all she was doing was getting me more into debt.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
Pakg said:
lol it's cool man. And trust me I understand completly...but I'm hoping its more reliable then the rx-7...I went through 2 engines on that baby...so lol I don't plan on doing any huge mods like i did on my rx-7.....i blew my first engine just cuz of plain stupidy I got an intake downpipe and mid-pipe and catback and didn't get a Air/fuel computer to tune it...so POOF...there went that engine...and the other one....the people i took it to, to get get tuned did a horrible job and she leen'd out....so i made them buy me a new engine..then i sold it...all she was doing was getting me more into debt.
Actually the Supra takes mods pretty well...

Anyway these cars are about as reliable as you would expect a 12-year-old sportscar to be. If you take care of it, it will be relatively dependable and reliable. If you don't you’re going to have trouble with it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I take care of my cars really well. I took so much care of my rx-7 it wasn't even funny...but even with all the precations and stuff I took those cars still like to blow...so I'm hopping if I put in half the effort i put into the RX-7...the Supra will last me quite long. But, all car geeks are the same..First its like man I need to get s short thrower ( I also noticed that the shifter was extremly long!) then man I bet she'd look pretty pimp with some rims, then its exhaust intake...and before you know it i'm slamming a new turbo on and have an AEM EMS and have drop'd 30k into the car lol that's just how it goes:rolleyes:

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
HEH....got my 1991 turbo supe, 67xxx miles on it, for only :eek: :eek: $2650...
nothing wrong, just some paint problems, driver and passenger seat had tear's in the leather....
but hell..for a very healthy motor and whatnot...i got a steal...oh yea it was from a dealership :p

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
viperlocc said:
HEH....got my 1991 turbo supe, 67xxx miles on it, for only :eek: :eek: $2650...
nothing wrong, just some paint problems, driver and passenger seat had tear's in the leather....
but hell..for a very healthy motor and whatnot...i got a steal...oh yea it was from a dealership :p
holy shit man, that doesn't sound right!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts