Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My name is Ron from Marysville, WA, and soon to be a owner of a MK3

120K miles on the car (clean title) and 30,000+ miles on the 2JZ. Pearl white sunroof car. Rust free straight body With a mint interior, all the power goodies, auto temp control, and a JDM full Recaro interior swap in Shadow grey, minus the floor mats.

Before it was parked a couple of years ago it was running very rich and he knew it needed a standalone and dyno tuning. But that never happened.

I'll be getting it back up and running with all new fluids, filters, plugs, wires, radiator & heater hoses, vacuum lines, etc.. Then I'll need to get the standalone and tuning.

This is where the real Confusion on my part comes in. I am not sure what I Really Need standalone wise. I know with the mods it has I'm sure the power will be fine for my needs. I don't anticipate doing more mods for power. No matter how fast it is there is Always someone else faster ;)

My only other turbo car was my 87 Buick Grand National. Stock block, turbo & injectors. It had a Red Armstrong 7 position chip with a thumbwheel, an old school EEPROM chip. Just set the number to want you wanted for the fuel type 91, 93, 100, 108 octane and boost level or valet mode. Plus I had an SMC methanol injection setup to keep detonation under control while running 93 octane pump gas. And an adjustable wastegate it would run 12.3 in the 1/4 all day long at 21psi.

I do anticipate a budget of at least $3000-$4000 for the standalone with the install and the dyno tuning. I do not need anything super fancy like Motec for a daily driver.

Since it will be my Daily driver and I will put on 50 miles a day round trip and be my only car. I'd like a standalone setup that has a really Easy interface to work with, maybe one that a map or two on it. I do not Think I'll need a ton of unlocked feature settings.

Once it's dyno-tuned I probably won't make many changes. Maybe hit the dragstrip from time to time and I won't be drifting or beating the piss out of it. Just do not want something that always needs to be tweaked once it's dyno tuned.

Any input or helpful links are greatly appreciated :)

Here are some of the engine mods it has on it now..

A JDM 2JZ-GTE VVTI swap with a single turbo

A Precision 6265 turbo - Not sure if it has journal bearings or ball bearings

Stock ECU and injectors - Probably need bigger injectors not sure yet

Upgraded fuel pump - He was told an AEM pump, unknown at this time if that is the case.

5 speed R154 trans

Stage 3 Spec clutch and pressure plate

Front mount intercooler

Megan racing aluminum radiator

DM 3" downpipe and custom mid-pipe

Medalion exhaust

HKS EVC boost controller

Bee-R rev limiter

Blitz DC2 turbo timer/boost gauge

GReddy EGT and other Greddy temp gauges

AEM wideband

Chassis & body mods...

Stance adjustable coil overs

TRD red swaybars

MKIV TRD strut tower brace - modified to fit

K-Sport 8 piston front calipers with 13" BBK rotors

Evo 9 Brembo rear calipers with 12.7" STI rotors

18" TSW Portier wheels 18"x9.5" & 18"x10" wrapped in Bridgestone's

1pc steel driveshaft

Carbon fiber block off plate

Carbon fiber air guide

Carbon fiber headlight covers

Bomex replica 3-hole front lip

Hid headlights and led fogs

Euro turn signals

Euro power-folding mirrors

JDM bubble side markers

JDM taillights

A Kevin M rear hatch visor

Pioneer touchscreen

and a Momo Race steering wheel

Should be a prime example of a MK3 once I get it back on the road again...

Any Supra friendly shops within 125 miles of zip code 98271 I should look into for the standalone and dyno tuning?

TIA for any help you can offer :)

Ron

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do not need anything super fancy like Motec for a daily driver.

Since it will be my Daily driver and I will put on 50 miles a day round trip and be my only car. I'd like a standalone setup that has a really Easy interface to work with, maybe one that a map or two on it.
Motec is a stand alone ECU, which is what you want. You're replacing the old OEM ECU and getting rid of the old piggyback electronics. EMU Black is also a good standalone. Avoid AEM. The interface is going to be a laptop, your tuner can show you how to load different maps, or you can watch videos on the standalone brand's website or youtube.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Motec is a stand alone ECU, which is what you want. You're replacing the old OEM ECU and getting rid of the old piggyback electronics. EMU Black is also a good standalone. Avoid AEM. The interface is going to be a laptop, your tuner can show you how to load different maps, or you can watch videos on the standalone brand's website or youtube.
He does not need a Motec. An AEM infinity would be more than fine for your needs. A Infinity 506 would be what you want. A ECU Masters ECU is also a great option. Haltech 2500 would fit what you need. A ProEFI 128 can be found in FB groups used for a decent price nowadays. Many options.

Find your local tuner who you trust by asking locals and on the FB Supra groups and install what they like. AEM is insanely popular and there are many people around who can tune it. I would choose the infinity 506.

Contact Jose Valle at Kaizen Motorsports, he will help you out and build a harness for you if you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy’s I’ll check into them. The Motec is really nice but I think it’s overkill for my needs with the prices they are asking.

·
Registered
347 Posts
He does not need a Motec. An AEM infinity would be more than fine for your needs. A Infinity 506 would be what you want. A ECU Masters ECU is also a great option. Haltech 2500 would fit what you need. A ProEFI 128 can be found in FB groups used for a decent price nowadays. Many options.

Find your local tuner who you trust by asking locals and on the FB Supra groups and install what they like. AEM is insanely popular and there are many people around who can tune it. I would choose the infinity 506.
AEM is shit. My brother has been a dealer for them for over 10 years now and hasn't recommended them for almost as long. Their customer service is terrible, and they're slow to fix issues with their products.
There's nothing wrong with Motec or any other good stand alone unit that has upgraded their components.

·
Registered
769 Posts
AEM is shit. My brother has been a dealer for them for over 10 years now and hasn't recommended them for almost as long. Their customer service is terrible, and they're slow to fix issues with their products.
There's nothing wrong with Motec or any other good stand alone unit that has upgraded their components.
I know many who run AEM without an issue. The infinity has been pretty solid for the most part. I never said anything was wrong with the Motec setup but based on price, it is overkill for what he is looking for and out of his budget.

Even eliminating AEM, there are others like ECU Master(Zack on SF), ProEFI and Haltech, unless you are saying these products are all shit to. If you are, that is fine, it is your opinion. I know the benefits a Motec unit brings but given the OP’s requirements, it is overkill.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks guy’s I’ll check into them. The Motec is really nice but I think it’s overkill for my needs with the prices they are asking.
Yes. Call Jose, he’ll set you up. A tune is only as good as the tuner so find who you will want to tune your car and get the proper ECU to match.

If AEM, I recommend Vlad from National Speed in NC. He is on the forums and knows a AEM extremely well. He is very detailed, just check out his YouTube videos when he did V2 stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. Call Jose, he’ll set you up. A tune is only as good as the tuner so find who you will want to tune your car and get the proper ECU to match.
I did try to call Jose today but there is No number on Kaizen's website. It did say they are moving to a new location. though.

But, with the info you guys provided that really narrows down some choices for me. Just need to look into them and find a dyno tuner in the greater Seattle area that sells them and has the hands-on experience with the brand I go with for an awesome tune.

I'll tow the car up to 100 miles if need be for a standalone and tuning from a great shop. I just want to have it done right the First time :)

I do have another related question... With the mods listed above and the Precision 6265 turbo and stock injectors it has now, any idea on the injector size I'd probably need. Of course I will refer to the person doing the tuning, but I am just wondering. I want to look into pricing so I'll have an idea before I replace them.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ron, to answer your question on the injectors, we'd need a bit more info. If you plan on running E85, and if you have a desired ballpark figure on your power goals would both be good to know. Modern injection is nice in that even what would have been considered REALLY big injectors 20 years ago, can now idle like a kitten purring. For what it's worth, I used to run a Comp 6265 on ~20 psi, on 91 octane, with ID1000 injectors. Had no trouble making a whp figure in the high 400's. Never did crack that 500 mark, but it never bothered me, it's a great power level for these cars, provided you have the budget for tires.

Also, I'm running an MS3-PRO ecu on this setup. I like it, it's more than capable of what you need, and I believe they even have a version that plugs into your stock harness, assuming you're currently running a stock 2jz ecu. That said, I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I have no idea of who tunes them up in the NW area. Still, it's a good setup, the price is nice for the capability, and the tuning options for my setup (I'd dare say any Supra with a 6-cylinder still in it) are pretty much unlimited.

Oh, and you're gonna tease us with that car description and NOT post any pics? Man, that's cold. :p

·
Super Moderator
10,472 Posts
Ishii Motorsports in Bellvue, Washington. Best Supra shop in the PACNW.

Ken.

Reactions: ZaZZn and figgie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank's TE72 and Ken for the good info and Yes TE, I will post some pics soon. The pics are not the best because it's in the garage with stuff on top of it. Most of the pics I have are of the interior anyways. I'll have to pull the dash and redye it from the factory blue to black at some point.

And being a nice guy, I did not ask him to get the crap off for Just pics. I have seen the complete vehicle and under the hood. It was in the driveway for months before it was moved into the garage. Every day when I got home and it was in the driveway, I said to myself I want that car, like Hard :)

I have chatted with Drive Auto Sports and will definitely contact Ishii Motorsports as well. I do want to take it to the best local shop I can.

With this 29yr old car and the engine swap, I'll definitely do some extra work to make it solid. It has sat for a long period and I plan to daily it. Because this will be my Only car, It needs to be as solid as I Can make it Before it hits the open road again. But I'll dig a little deeper into my pocket for this car with more new parts and do some fixes. Like ones known to cause issues with age and to hopefully Lessen a future breakdown, which I Know will happen at some point. Of course, using OEM parts everywhere I can.

I am still reading up on the MK3 and known issues, problems that could leave me stranded, or cost me a chunk of money in the future. I do not want to have to rent a car to get to work with the Supra down in the garage.

And that has me wondering lately... Is a 29-year-old MK3 with an engine swap maybe Not the best car to rely on for a daily without having a backup vehicle? Is it recommended for MK3 owners to have a backup vehicle? I really do not want to have to buy a backup car or motorcycle. I have not yet searched the forums for the answers to that question and it is off topic and probably better to post that question in another section. But it is in the back of my mind...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have decided to pass on the MK3. It is just not the right car for me at This time due to various reasons. Just thought I would make a final post Thanking everyone for their input.

Thank guys!

Ron

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
No worries Ron, sometimes the right decision is the hard one. This is often the case with Supras, which at this age, I tend to consider toys more than transportation. They CAN be reliable, but you better be able to figure out what's wrong with them on the side of the road, just in case. Also consider that some things are not necessarily quick fixes, hence my constant recommendation for a daily car in addition to the Supra.

Anyway, you're more than welcome to stick around, but if we don't see ya back, take care. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts