Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I dont drive a Supra but im going to help do a TT swap for my friend with an NA MK4. I've pretty much figured out that its a straight forward swap. Now, is there particular JDM motor importers that you Supra guys would recommend? I know a couple places with a 2JZ laying around but then again, i've been seeing the same ones for over a year. Prices i've seen around here are around 3000-3500 w/ shipping for a GTE motor. Is that a decent price? im a 240 guy and i tend to see lots of SR20s being sold by individual owners on forums. I havn't successfully found many GTE motor sold by ppl here. Anyone have any input? I appreciate any help at all. Thanx.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh, a built race block seems tempting but we're just looking for an OEM motor.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hua said:
Just have him write a check for $4k to Boostlogic and call it a day.

I think he means buy a turbo kit for the NA motor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
jdmpowerplants.com

They have great service are are pretty knowledgable about their motors.
Just to add my 2 cents, converting an NA to a TT is a HUGE pain in the ass, and you basically don't save much money, if not lose more money, with the conversion. But best of luck. Cheers

·
Registered
687 Posts
Check out DaveH on the forums here and rethink the swap. Like Hua said, "
Just have him write a check for $4k to Boostlogic and call it a day."

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Well if your doing the labor yourself and can get ahold of the USDM ECU/Harness, MAF, Injectors, Turbos than it's not that bad. But it will cost you a bit. I did mine for around $6,500 and that included the labor. I had my mechanic extend the Harness, so I'm still running the J-spec ECU. I have the whole JDM Stock Setup right now bolted onto an NA Built Auto Tranny.

Total was approx $8700 for Engine ECU/Harness, Tranny, Stock SMIC w/pipes, Exhaust (Super Dragger), DP(3"), Boost Controller, Fan Clutch and Cruise Control Cable that I havn't installed yet. Not bad I think.

Though it would have been cheaper to go NA-T, I have a great platform to start from and now the possibilities are endless. If I had to do it over again, I would still do the JDM Swap. Though guys are getting awesome results from NA-T, I was scared of all the tuning issues and in the end to have someone install and tune the NA-T kit would have been close to the same amount of money.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Yes, I was referring to an NA-T kit from BL. If I recall, Chris from Performance Motorsports put one on his SC and did like 624rwhp. All he changed was the headgasket to lower compression. Along with fuel system of course.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hua said:
Yes, I was referring to an NA-T kit from BL. If I recall, Chris from Performance Motorsports put one on his SC and did like 624rwhp. All he changed was the headgasket to lower compression. Along with fuel system of course.
I remember that. However I'm sure that Kit with all the install and tuning was well into the $10k+ Arena.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
going NA-T or TT conversion was an option, but this motor has over 100k miles on it and he says its starting to get old. I wouldn't turbo a car with 100k miles on it either without a rebuild.

so thats why we decided to go with a JDM TT swap. any more input

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oops sorry, i dont know how to edit. But anways, any suggestions on to buying a JDM motor? any reputable places u Supra guys ususally like?

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Your engine is just getting warmed up with 100k miles ;)

I know of tons of Supra TT's running strong with 150K-200K on the odo.

But I would tell your friend to sell his car and simply just buy a TT. Too many head aches turboing a car that wasn't meant to be turboed in the first place. Unless of course, your friend is doing this for insurance reasons...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Jaxx said:
Your engine is just getting warmed up with 100k miles ;)

I know of tons of Supra TT's running strong with 150K-200K on the odo.

But I would tell your friend to sell his car and simply just buy a TT. Too many head aches turboing a car that wasn't meant to be turboed in the first place. Unless of course, your friend is doing this for insurance reasons...
:iwdumbass and besides i heard that if you swap a TT into a N/A braking system and suspension system are different then the TT's meaning they aren't made to handle the TT's power. My advice to him is to go the NA-T path. with 100k miles the engine is just getting warmed up. BTW aren't u novastreetforums?

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
begone said:
I remember that. However I'm sure that Kit with all the install and tuning was well into the $10k+ Arena.
So for about $24k including the cost of the car, you'll have an NA-T Supra that will whip the shit out of any BPU car. I don't care about the TT suspension and brakes, you can buy that stuff used for dirt. All depends on how much the car is worth to the investor I guess.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
94twinturbo said:
:iwdumbass and besides i heard that if you swap a TT into a N/A braking system and suspension system are different then the TT's meaning they aren't made to handle the TT's power. My advice to him is to go the NA-T path. with 100k miles the engine is just getting warmed up. BTW aren't u novastreetforums?
Thats true. I need to upgrade my Suspension and Brakes now. But if you went NA-T, you would have to also. Either way the NA Suspension and Brakes are not stout enough for high Hp. I'm only pushing around 300 hp to the wheels and the car scares me sometimes. Especially with my big 16's and lack of LSD. :)

Hua, thats true about the NA-T whooping up on a BPU car. For me I already had the Supra, and wanted something reliable, so I did the TT Swap. But that's not to say there aren't reliable NA-T's. But from my standpoint and expertise of these vehicles (which is nothing), I felt more secure doing the TT Swap. I just hate driving cars where I'm thinking at any moment I could be stranded on the side of the road in...You know what I'm saying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
94twinturbo said:
yea im on NovaStreetForums. I advised him to go TT conversion or NA-T but hes convinced that his motor isn't going to be able to last. As far as suspension and brakes, im sure they work fine. I drove it the other day and it has fairly stiff stock suspension and it iwll do for street. Anways suspension and brakes will be upgraded to track spec eventually.

no ones answered my question yet.... Any recommended place to buy a TT motor??

·
Racing is Life.
1,129 Posts

LoL I doubt you'll get that answer :)

·
Racing is Life.
1,129 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot, ran at the track yesterday... and while I was running a 12.7, on my original motor, I passed through 182k. So anyone that thinks their motor won't hold up to a beating needs to check in. Either that or stop using 5wt oil.... 80) There, that's MY two cents. --Jason

·
Registered
188 Posts
Silverbullet said:
I picked up a JDM 2JZ out of an Aristo from Lee @ CNS Motors in El Monte Ca(I know that isn't local to you) for $2900.00. I never felt comfortable buying from non-local sellers so take it for what it's worth. I had also bought a 4G63 for my Galant about 2 years ago from him. I put 40K miles on it without changing anything. That engine ended up making 391WHP with a 20G.

BTW: If you end up with an Aristo engine I have the Supra pan, oil baffle & oil pick-up available. I got lucky, the Aristo pan will drop right into the Nova.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts