Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to buy a new engine wiring harness from Toyota and i was wondering what would be my best choice in terms of year/tranny type.

My car is an 89 T , converted from auto to manual. Im using the original auto harness. The catch is, that i might be switching back to auto (TH400) in the future, so i thought that it would be a better idea to get an auto harness.
I also noticed that part numbers for the harnesses for every year are different, does anyone know the difference between 89-90-91-92 harnesses?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,204 Posts
With a TH400 you'll want the MT harness anyway since the auto ECU is only different for the sake of the stock toyota auto trans.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
zz_denis said:
I've decided to buy a new engine wiring harness from Toyota and i was wondering what would be my best choice in terms of year/tranny type.

My car is an 89 T , converted from auto to manual. Im using the original auto harness. The catch is, that i might be switching back to auto (TH400) in the future, so i thought that it would be a better idea to get an auto harness.
I also noticed that part numbers for the harnesses for every year are different, does anyone know the difference between 89-90-91-92 harnesses?

Thanks!
Couldn't tell you precisely but there have been reported differences concerning integration plugs. Someone posted that the next year's harness had a different size plug that connects it to the body harness. There were other details that suggest getting the proper year and orientation.
If you're going to run your TH400 via the auto computer, I would suggest getting the auto harness. If not, I believe you'd only be dealing with the neutral start switch conversion. The auto harness can go both ways. The manual one cannot.
If the TH400 needs no outside help, then it's a moot point.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
is your auto ECU plugs YELLOW OR GRAY? If gray you can get away with using a 90 if yellow you can get an 88 or 87 if i'm correct on that. I believe 88 harnesses are discontinued..

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
zz_denis said:

Thanks!
I bought the '89+ for mine - I have the gray plugs. Toyota in Kingsport only had two different harnesses, iirc, the pre-'89 and '89+. If you have that many different part numbers, I would go with the '89, unless you have the yellow plugs in your car. Or wait for Jeff Lange to tell you for sure ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts