Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Im getting a car, and have decided on the supra. Ive allways been a supra nut, and have been looking at this forum for quite a while, so i know quite a lot about them.

My max budget is about 20k, but thats pushing it. here is a supra that i am looking at buying at the moment:

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=1990606&current_rec=6&total_rec=12&sort_type=3&price_min=10000&price_max=20000&make_id=8&model_id=68&state_id=7&search_distance=25

could you please provide any advice on buying a 2nd hand N/A supra, what to look out for etc and and problems that arise with that year model.

much appreciated,

- Kamil.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sorry i cant help but good luck on your search.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hey mate,

You should be able to buy a '95 stock n/a for 20K, maybe 21K. It's all about looking through all the various advertisers and gaining a good perspective on the overall market. Basically do your research first, don't go in head first and just buy the cheapest car you see (because there may be a reason why its so cheap ;)).

When you are searching the car first check for signs of wear and tear. Look at gearnob and steering wheel, the doors and roof. The dash is a good indicator of how it was treated too, you will most likely find it's fairly scratched. f you get rattling on the inside of the car I wouldn't be too worried as its most probably two rubber hatch stoppers which are making all the noise, this is a very well known nuisance on the supra. It's nice if the engine bay is clean but most sellers do it to make the car look good, don't be fooled. Look for body rust any signs of repairs (different colours on panels, weld marks in the boot/front) pay attention to the body.

Compare the km's on the ODO to the condition of the car and try and figure out whether they are legit. If not this is nothing to be overly worried bout. The 2jz engine is bulletproof and very reliable, it's meant to last.

Check all hoses for composition, they shouldn't be too hard and crusty, rather softer and flexible. Check the timing belt for cracks (another good way to work out general km's). Make sure there is not too much smoke coming out of the exhaust upon startup, a little is alrite on a colder day.

How does the car accelerate? It should be a fairly smooth power delivery if it's stock. Test brakes and pads for stopping power and condition. Look underneath the car as well to check the exhaust, suspension components, if anything is overly wrong here you are quiet likely to spot it. You usually look for the same things from car to car, with the n/a supra it's no different, look for these signs.

Good luck with the sale, hope you'll be joining the N/A Supra ranks soon. ;)

Cheers,
Iggy

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,186 Posts
plz dont waste ure money on a n/a......go get ureself a tt.....

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
I dont know in Australia, but in the US my friend just sold his 94 Turbo in excellent condition for $20,500. I think buying a N/A just sucks, no fun without turbo and that is what a Supra experience is all about.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Dont buy an n/a and just buy TT? Why would he want to buy an n/a unless he pretty much had to? Prices of US Supras are far cheaper than anything we have in Oz cos the supras there were made locally. Expect to pay A$28K for a 93 POS TT Supra here. Apart from that there's things like insurance and a crapload of other things to consider.

Basically kam go with what you are able to go with, people just buy cars an aren't able to afford owning them. Stick with the n/a, there is nothing wrong with them ;). You'll still be beating most of the shit out there.

G

·
The NA, Lets face it , you will get reliability a head turner and an awesome car. Could also give you more cash to spend on a set of nice wheels and an aftermarket exhaust. Would recommend something like the Nur Spec or Greddy. Good luck with getting your Supe though

G

·
get a mk3 1j and do it up..

or buy a mkiv but make sure its absolutely stock and then do it up urself, dont buy pre-rice or ull get a thrashed motor.

8,181 Posts
i'm not much for an N/A. neither for a N/A-T. its better to buy a tt. think of all the conversion u have to do afterwords for an N/A to go T. I guess the brits and ausies think differently then us americanos. good luck with ur nu ride. :bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts