Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was considering this car, because it comes with coil overs, nice set of volk wheels and exhaust with most metal hard pipes. I would be getting this car for 13k however it has 165k along with other not so big problems, engine runs fine and I cant tell any noticeable exhaust blue smoke etc. I will be swapping a 6 speed in within the first year or so and I will be performing all the work. Would I be ok with that engine if I plan to make 500-600hp on a single 61mmor 67mm or would I be taking to many chances on this higher mileage car and the cheap price would not over cast the the downsides? I have searched and seen some guys with 200-240k on their car but how often is that, I do have a tacoma with 300k miles on the stock EVERYTHING.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Depends on previous owners. A properly maintained car I wouldn't worry about the mileage. You can buy a gasket rebuild set for piece of mind if you want though, cheap insurance if you ask me. I'd say if you were going to keep the stock twins to maybe worry about, but you are not.

Alex

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Feed it boost.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
If it has 165000 that's a good sign of a healthy engine

·
Registered
527 Posts
I bought my 94tt back in 03' with 188K on it and the day i bought it drove it 1800 miles back home to MS. With in the first year I singled the car and did all the gaskets and replaced my valvetrain with lower mileage components (around 30K...had them around so why not.) I ran the PHR gt67 last year and since have been running a garret 67mm turbo. Both of the setups were on all stock engine, stock fuel system, greddy fmic, full exhaust and a Greddy Emanage @14psi. The car dyno'd 479whp/435ftlbs. Its been holding strong for years now as a daily driver. I recently did a compression test and gt between 150 and 155 on all cylinders. If these motors are properly maintained they should last a long time.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I ran around on close to 500whp for about 2 years on an injured motor ( the difference between the first and last cylinder was more than 30+ psi compression) and it ran totally fine the whole time and the numbers didn't change much between the first comp test when I bought it and the second one 2 years later.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it has 165000 that's a good sign of a healthy engine
Yes thats what I was thiking.

93na= thats a testament as to the engineering that went into these motors, no other turbo car I have ever owned would I feel ok buying at anything 100k+

Seattle Express= Lol you have cojones sir for driving on something that is 30+ psi off from another cyl.

What kind of compression numbers were the TTs pulling new? and something around 150 or higher mileage?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP, Where did you find such a cheap TT supra?? Find me one too!
like everyone I was looking around for a long while (3 years) finally I see this beauty parked and wasnt even going to bother leaving a note if he wants to sell. As I start walking away the guy comes up to it and says you like it? I say umm hell yeah, and he says he would sell it to me for that much, I tried not to get as happy as a fat man in a buffet line when he said that lol.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had friends that have had motors with 200k and boosted them to shit, not a problem. That was a KA-24 and they are known not to handle high amounts of boost without being built. I wouldn't think it would be an issue if the maintenance was done and it wasn't beat on.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with it, it would be a huge headache... but want to give me the guys info? ;)

·
Banned
171 Posts
I say Go for it. I just dropped 9k on a 1995 N/A SE 5speed with 133k that a friend of mine has owned for some time. I offered to buy it a few years back and he didn't want to sell then. Check compression and then decide...

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
I tore my motor appart with 125,000 miles on it and the cylinder walls still had the cross hatch marks. The bore was completely round and there was no lip from ring wear (and I mean no measured wear not just by feeling). These engine will go a long time.

You may want to consider new valve springs and valve stem seals, but other than that if the compression and leak down numbers are good, go for it.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
189 Posts
Best bet would be to start it and see it run. If it smokes it could be pricey (injectros/rings/head leaking/valves sticking... take your pick)

But the motors can do as much as 500+... it's the Turbos you have to worry about...

Luke

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is a Toyota after all right. they will last forever if kept care of. id get those turbos looked at tho like everyone else recommends. look around for some north american steel spindled turbos. you can get some in good shape. they will last longer than the stock jap ceramic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
like everyone I was looking around for a long while (3 years) finally I see this beauty parked and wasnt even going to bother leaving a note if he wants to sell. As I start walking away the guy comes up to it and says you like it? I say umm hell yeah, and he says he would sell it to me for that much, I tried not to get as happy as a fat man in a buffet line when he said that lol.
I just busted out laughing at work. Now everyone is looking at me lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.