Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey peeps..

what should i be looking out for when buying a used Getrag v160??

·
Registered
323 Posts
A good seller who has reputation and who isn't going to say it doesn't have a scratch in any gears (when it does) do you want to pay shipping on something that big? You could or local pickup you live in canada don't see many listings in the (items) for sale section here from canada.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ we got a couple of jdm shops around here, i know there isnt any listing here on supra forums, but on local classifieds is findable :p

but guys anything in particular to look for? i understand i can rebuild the tranny, but if i can save some buck and get a good tranny.. why not right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
You don't want to buy a V160, and then pay to have it rebuilt unless you're pushing wicked power... Fine a good price on a functional V160...

·
Registered
59 Posts
You don't know the state of the transmission until its allready in your car!

The only way to really know the state before hand, is with a working donor car... "My shop" bought a RHD TT 6-speed which will be a (5-speed) track car.
The 6 speed shifts great and for a track car a R154 will do fine or better. I will buy the proven 6-speed from them.

But you will have to be patient or lucky for that.
On the other hand, if you buy one unseen/untested: The Getrag 6-speed is very well build and they can be rebuild.

Good luck!

my,
2 cts

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
exactly! The only way to know if you are getting a good one or not is if you actually get to drive the car it comes out of!

Jason

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've heard you DO NOT want to rebuild a v160. 2 reasons: 1. for the cost it takes to rebuild one (time, materials and original trans) you can probably get a new one for close money. 2. They're a ridiculous pain to rebuild. Just what I've heard. Good luck which ever route you go.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I heard the same thing ^^^ b/c they are a pain to rebuild and the amount of $$$$ you spend on rebuilding one, you could get a new one for a few hundred more. Do some more research before you spend that kind of money on a used tranny. Especially if its not in a current running car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
new one? lol they still make them? never knew

well thanks for the input guys, i guess ill have to be careful and hope for the best :S

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new one on the factory crate for sale.
Can't figure out how to post it. Been a member for about two years, says to contact an Admin, which I don't know how to do.
I'll sell for a good price, moving, project has been cancelled...

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you can see it in person and have someone who knows what to look for in a good/bad transmission I would recommend taking covers off and inspecting gears, locking rings etc...

Other than that I would buy from a member known really well by the community or a brand new one! To spend $3000 on a used transmission you can't inspect or have proof that its in good condition is really risk in my eyes.

·
DFA Motorsports
1,891 Posts
Make sure you don't drive 4 hours one way to pick it up only to get home, drain it and find that its filled with water. Then look inside to find rust on all the gears, put a shifter on it and find out you can't get it into reverse.

·
Registered
525 Posts
For something so expensive, and often with unknown history I would either buy from someone super reputable or new.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts