Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm from Michigan and I'm flying out to California tomorrow to purchase a 93 Supra, which I will be driving back home. My question is with regards to temp plates. I've always bought local cars and just driven the cars home without any plates/temp plates, and gotten the vehicle registered as soon as I could. Never had any issues with that. I am wondering how this works for a cross country drive. I'm assuming each state has their own rules. Will I be required to get a temp plate at the California DMV? Should I just do that to avoid any potential hassles? Anyone recently experienced this, and roughly how much would a temp plate cost?
I'll obviously have the title and bill of sale with me, but I don't feel like getting pulled over in every state because I have no plates.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller as to whether or not he's planning on keeping the plates currently on the vehicle. If he lets me have them, then I'd probably just keep them on for the cross country drive and ditch them once I'm home and have the car registered with MI plates.

Any input from someone who's purchased one and driven across the country would be appreciated!

*edit- Before anyone comments, yes I've already taken out insurance for the car.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,551 Posts
I purchased my last Supra in California and drove it cross-country back to North Carolina. The seller had no use for the CA plates, so they stayed on the car until I got it registered in NC.

If your seller wants the plates, offer to mail them back after you get home with them.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
The plates will stay with the car, so no issue for you.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
736 Posts
I got a temp tag from my local DMV, I live in Albuquerque and flew down to get my supra in Florida. It was like $7 for the temp tag good for a month.

Even got pulled over in Mississppi and the cops were cool with everything, oh and no ticket haha!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ nice!

Also, I forgot to mention. The vehicle is in California, BUT titled in Wisconsin. The current owner lives in California but was originally from WI so he titled it there. It was previously titled in CA. I believe he still has the CA front plate but a WI rear plate.

I know, its confusing.

I think I'm just going to transfer the front CA plate to the rear and drive it home and register it as soon as its back here in MI.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,551 Posts
Are you allowed to have a Toyota in Detroit?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The only thing you have to worry about is if the owner has personalized plates. I wanted to get another personalized plate and keep my current plates but AAA said that the California DMV will charge you an annual fee for keeping the plates out of circulation. I am not sure if this applies to the basic California license plate. I have to pay $98 annually for mine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought a car in CA and drove it to NE a few years ago. Just keep the previous owners plates on until you get home and mail them back to him if he wants them.

·
Boost Creep
3,491 Posts
Lots of people will not allow you to drive on their plates especially for that distance. If there was an accident or something it wouldn't be covered typically.

·
Champagne Papi
5,694 Posts
Lots of people will not allow you to drive on their plates especially for that distance. If there was an accident or something it wouldn't be covered typically.
Not sure how it is in NY however Insurance companies in CA cover you up to 7 days from buying a car with your existing coverage.

·
Registered
309 Posts
most states issue temporary paper plates and i think in my opinion that is the thing to do, by driving on some else's plates you are not legal

·
Registered
299 Posts
Flew out to Missouri to get my car. I got a "Trip Permit" from my VA DMV to legally drive it back without plates. Cost about $10. The permit was good for 3 days. Do it the right way.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Are you allowed to have a Toyota in Detroit?
It's not advised... and if that Toyota happens to be a Supra then be prepared for approximately 172 Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers to challenge you to race every time you take the car out and drive for more than 5 miles.

OP, where are you at in Detroit?

·
Banned
199 Posts
With the drive being that long you shouldn't worry with the hassle of a temp tag when you need to get on the road. Tell the owner you want to take their plates and mail them back if they want them to hang up in their garage. With both parties having a bill of sale there would be no issue if you got into an accident with their tag on the car. Insure the car once you make the purchase. It's just a phone call.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just drive it back home with the plate on the car and mail it back to him. It's not expensive and you won't get stopped 50 times on the way back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Boost Creep
3,491 Posts
With the drive being that long you shouldn't worry with the hassle of a temp tag when you need to get on the road. Tell the owner you want to take their plates and mail them back if they want them to hang up in their garage. With both parties having a bill of sale there would be no issue if you got into an accident with their tag on the car. Insure the car once you make the purchase. It's just a phone call.
In NY, the driver isn't insured motorist on the policy thus if something happened they would not cover it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If the seller lets you keep them you could try. When I bought my first one and drove it from AZ to OH I drove with no tags. Just the bill of sale is enough. I was pulled over in TX b/c I had no plate and he said that is perfectly fine. You could also
buy a temp one but I didn't want to spend the money.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,551 Posts
In NY, the driver isn't insured motorist on the policy thus if something happened they would not cover it.
I don't know what you were trying to say, but insurance has nothing to do with the license plate. As long as the buyer has the car (with its VIN #) insured on his policy on the day of purchase, then it's covered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts