Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a fan of supras, just never had the resources to acquire one. Now, the opportunity has arrived and I am excited but weary at the same time. I've been a modular guy all my life, so if I purchase the car, it will be my first non modular car. A little story of the car:

It's a 1997 Supra Targa TT, auto, 74kmiles, stock turbos, FMIC, ssqv bov, aftermarket rims, boost controler. I am still trying to find what more exactly is on the car, but I think is it pretty bone stock. Car belongs to a friend of mine (used to belong to his mom). I am pretty sure it has not been abused, it's black on black on black.

My question is, what should one look for in a 15 year old car? I can get the car for a steal ( and I mean a STEAL) but just weary about the car being 15 years old!!

What do you all think?

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have always been a fan of supras, just never had the resources to acquire one. Now, the opportunity has arrived and I am excited but weary at the same time. I've been a modular guy all my life, so if I purchase the car, it will be my first non modular car. A little story of the car:

It's a 1997 Supra Targa TT, auto, 74kmiles, stock turbos, FMIC, ssqv bov, aftermarket rims, boost controler. I am still trying to find what more exactly is on the car, but I think is it pretty bone stock. Car belongs to a friend of mine (used to belong to his mom). I am pretty sure it has not been abused, it's black on black on black.

My question is, what should one look for in a 15 year old car? I can get the car for a steal ( and I mean a STEAL) but just weary about the car being 15 years old!!

What do you all think?

Thanks
dude, a Supra with 74k miles is awesome. Take it to a mechanic to look it over.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Car fax,compression test, smoke on start up or boost to show life of turbos. Something like that considering it's a 97 with good miles 22k miles since it's an auto?

·
Registered
401 Posts

What do you all think?

Thanks
Wow that Supra is 15 years old and you are still interested? :gtfoslap: You should wait for a newer one to pop up.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
It will be fine. Run a carfax, look for all of the vin stickers, check to see if the timing belt has been done, check and change the oil, do a minor tune up, gap the new plugs with a smaller gap, for future mods, and be prepared for too much attention. Oh be sure to check the coolant.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
If it is a steal and you dont want to purchase a 15yr old car then PM me the info and i'll buy it! i'll pay you a finders fee

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
dude, a Supra with 74k miles is awesome. Take it to a mechanic to look it over.
Bad advice. What mechanic really knows what to look for?

All of the things that you need to look for are on this forum, just search. I advise you to learn how to use this site BEFORE making the purchase. It's a 15 year old car that will run just fine on its own, but you will still need to know what you're looking at, and what to expect. Good luck.

·
Something's fuckey
313 Posts
Bad advice. What mechanic really knows what to look for?

All of the things that you need to look for are on this forum, just search. I advise you to learn how to use this site BEFORE making the purchase. It's a 15 year old car that will run just fine on its own, but you will still need to know what you're looking at, and what to expect. Good luck.
that^

if you look at the for sale section, you can see what questions are asked and what remains constant in the ads. what remains constant will probably be important. i think its been answered quite well for a popular thread type. good luck op.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts