1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i searched this forum high and low tonight and i have came up with this:

Tire sizes will be 255/45 17 FRONT
275/40 17 REAR

Tire choices.... a little confused still on which to buy but YOK AVS Sport on the front and A032R on the back... should i get A032R all the way around?? Im not sure. I want a steet legal drag slick with awsome handling. Wet weather is not a issue. Also, I want a tire that will last a while i dont want to buy tires every other month. How long do the A032Rs last??

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
You can try the BFGoodrich T/A KD's in the front and T/A KD Drag Radials in the back. They're both street legal and offer the best grip. Titan's Supra and almost every other car in the Street Tire Drag Competition is using the Drag Radials.

If not, you can try the Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance in front and NT555R Drag Radials in the back. In my opinion, almost as good as the BFGoodrich's. Nitto has also come out with a new tire called the NT-01. It's mostly for road racing/auto x. You can call and see if it's also good for drags.

Lastly, the good old Potenza S02 Pole Positions or even now the S03s are always a good sticky choice. I personally like the S02's.

Don't know about the max sizes though. Hopefully, you can stick a little more meat on them.

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Yes BFGoodrich hande extremely well. I don't know about road racing the drag radials man. They're drag radials. But since they offer more grip (more contact area) to the road, I would think so.

For road racing/auto x, go with the T/A KDs. If you're a die hard racer, I'd go with the NT-01s. I prob wouldn't go road racing with drag radials. I'd go for the KDs.

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
For strictly road racing, I'd go with the NT-01s all around.

A good combo would be the NT555Rs in the front (drag radials - that offer way more grip than the NT555s) and NT-01s in the back.

The combo you said, in my opinion, wouldn't work for road racing. Remeber, you need grip on all four. That would just be a good "STREET drag" combo.

Since you seem to swing to Nitto, here would be my choices:
1. NT-01s on all four
2. NT-01 on F and NT555R on R
3. T/A KDs on F and T/A KD Drags on R
4. T/A KDs on all four

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
MDBlackTT said:
.... I want a steet legal drag slick with awsome handling. Wet weather is not a issue. Also, I want a tire that will last a while i dont want to buy tires every other month.
You're not going to get all that in one package. If it's a good drag slick or good (sticky) road course tire, it's not going to last many miles.
A reasonable compromise, and one that is reasonable cost, are Kumho MX tires. They are pretty decent at both. And never say never about wet weather. You might not plan to drive when it's wet, but it happens. And there have been a number of those sad stories here on SF about "don't know how/why I lost it" wrecks in the wet!

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
In those sizes? I'd try the Goodyear GS-D3. Not some Nittos.

Drag radials for road racing is ... lol.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh i was in one of those i dont know what happened wrecks.... ok so tires??? which should i get? a good handleing tire with decent grip at the track?

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
MDBlackTT said:
oh i was in one of those i dont know what happened wrecks.... ok so tires??? which should i get? a good handleing tire with decent grip at the track?
Please see my response. The tires I suggested are a good choice. Or the Kumho MX that Vick suggested. Or the AVS Sport.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
i absolutely love my potenza Re730s....and the car handles considerable better than my old BFG's...

i prefer road racing to drag racing as well :)

-mike

EDIT : also, the 730s are also quite sticky in a straight line as well, i have launched the car with absolutely no wheel spin, and no i wasnt launching like a girl ;)

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
MDBlackTT said:
What about BFG KD's in the front and then BFG Drags in the rear?
Please go back and re-read my post.

Drag radials SUCK ASS for the road course. If you want to crash then by all means, go for it.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
quick said:

Drag radials SUCK ASS for the road course. If you want to crash then by all means, go for it.
:agreed:....drag radials are not sticky for the most part unless you have heat cycled them...which you cant really do in the middle of a lap...

put drag radials on your car for a road course and the back end is going sliding all over the friggen place....

-mike

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
quick said:

:werd: :freak:
Make sure you get video. Good educational tool. :stickpoke

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Let me add some additional clarification. The road course requires that you drive around a twisty track. Tires designed for this type of situation have great grip and a stiff sidewall.

The drag strip requires that you only drive forward. Drag tires have a more flexible sidewall and they are not designed for turning.

If you combine a tire intended for turning with one that is not then it is the worst of both worlds. The car will act strange and unpredictable in comparison to one with the correct tires for the situation.

I hope this helps shed more light onto why it is a BAD idea to run drag radials on the road course.

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts