Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At times when I come to a stop, I hear a buzzing/rattling sound coming from the engine bay, it sounds like it comes from the rear of the ending, close to the firewall. And it only happens sometimes, I can be sitting at a light, foot on brake, and it just starts buzzing, then goes away maybe 5-10 seconds later, then starts up against randomly. It is totally independent of idle speed as well, when it changes between 600-850 or so it makes no difference, it can buzz at both RPM's. My car runs just as strong, but sometimes the 1-2 shift takes a little longer than it should, and a few weeks ago I hit the rev limiter in first gear before it shifted...either possibly spinning or slipping, but I don't slip up hills or on high speed runs. I was wondering if there was a possibility of a loose bolt somewhere? I'd read some posts about the TC on built auto trannies, but can this happen with a stock car? I have a 1996 TT with 60k miles, an RMM DP, and an avc-r and BCC set at 1.10bar.

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
when it starts buzzing next time,go open the bonnet(hood) and put your hand on the charcoal canister.
these things buzz at times to relieve some fuel vapour/fumes ect...and its normal.
so see if its that.
Danny

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
odds are its just the reed valves that are bad. Open the hood next time and put your ear by the intake and see if it gets louder. thats a normal thing on MKIV's. Its no big deal at all.

And do you have the trac fused pulled on your tranny? If so, and your hitting the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift, then your clutches are wearing out, and as soon as they go, your 2nd gear sprag will be destroyed. Ask me how i know this too, i blew mine last sunday.......

DO NOT pull the trac fuse out on the streets. Only pull it at the track.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the night I missed the 1-2 shift and hit redline, I had jsut left the track, was running 100 octane, and left 2 stripes down the road from my tires...so probably a combination of more power, and no traction caused it. I did however go under my hood, and found a hose coming off what appears to be my EGR vacuum modulator in this picture...I believe the one running to the charcoal canister, or the egr valve, I haven't traced it back yet. I'll fix it and let you guys know if that fixes my problem.

One more question though, could this have caused any damage, or could it even be good for my car since many people simply block off the EGR system?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts