Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will C16 or race fuel help my NA in the 1/4 mi???

I will be heading to the track this weekend just to find out how fast i can pull with a NA 5spd hardtop with a few weight reduction mods. Im curious if it will help or if its even a good idea to run race gas??? Any suggestions or input is welcome?

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
No need to run race gas in an NA unless you have a reason to (ex, - nitrous)

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My reason is to get better times given the fact that i will get a decent 60ft. Oh, I dont have N20. I'll take everything i can get at this point since its last minute.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So C16 on a NA setup will not make a difference. So im guessing it'll only help with a turbo setup and lower compression? sorry im a newbie when it comes to when C16 is ideal. :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
kevganzon said:
So C16 on a NA setup will not make a difference. So im guessing it'll only help with a turbo setup and lower compression? sorry im a newbie when it comes to when C16 is ideal. :)

Just my guess. The use of race fuel will only benefit performance if the car's ECU has areas of the timing/ignition etc maps for it (which it probably does not), or if the car has force induction, heavily modified NA with higher compression ratio than stock.

The stock ECU and all the rest are optimized for the recommended fuel and is not capable of adding more hps out of higher octane.

Anything over 95 octane for mildly modified NA is probably over kill imho. Save the money towards other things.

Reducing weight will definitely help, you accelerate faster, stop faster.

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
Sorry Kev, but the C16 won't help...but you can add it either way, if you wanna spend like $4+ a gallon. What sort of weight reduction mods have you done? When I went to the track my best time was a 9.0 (1/8th mile ofcourse) but I had really bad launches and 60' (something like 2.64 if I remember correctly). Anyway, gL Kevin, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My understanding may be over simplistic, octane measurement is a measure of resistance to spontaneous combustion. Like said above, higher compression, timing, boost.. these can affect that. Your motor, like mine should be fine on pump gas.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How bout all these so claimed "octane boosters"? Never use 'em but do they give some power like it claims it does?

·
Registered
330 Posts
C16 would probably hurt your performance, not help it. Higher octane burns at a slower rate, so you would have less efficient combustion..... Unless it is a NA engine that is radical or tuned to the ragged edge, I would say not worth it. Hope this helps.

Reactions: SPORTcoupe

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
No, I wouldn't use octane boosters and you really shouldn't use c16, aside from it having no performance benefits for you you don't want people smelling race gas from a car that runs 15's later in the night.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SSSUPRA said:
......... aside from it having no performance benefits for you you don't want people smelling race gas from a car that runs 15's later in the night.
:lol:

I guess i'll have to work with Cali's crappy 91 gas. Right now im prepping for anything i can do to help cuz im aiming to get 14's at the 1/4 mi for an NA. I know it doesnt sound like much compared to the turbo supras but I hope to do better than what most NA's are running at.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SupraDupra_17 said:
.....What sort of weight reduction mods have you done? When I went to the track my best time was a 9.0 (1/8th mile ofcourse) but I had really bad launches and 60' (something like 2.64 if I remember correctly). Anyway, gL Kevin, let us know how it turns out.
Thanks Chris. So far i have BWR(rear seats, rear seatbelts, subwoofer, spare, tools/jack, few int panels, passnger seat, amplifier, carpeting removed) This will all be temperary for just the track and afterwards i gotta go through all that pain to put it back in. We'll see if its worth it :)

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
kevganzon said:
Thanks Chris. So far i have BWR(rear seats, rear seatbelts, subwoofer, spare, tools/jack, few int panels, passnger seat, amplifier, carpeting removed) This will all be temperary for just the track and afterwards i gotta go through all that pain to put it back in. We'll see if its worth it :)
Whoa Kevin, it seems like you're going all out. If you want to remove some more things you can take out the glove box and the cruise control (not sure how heavy these are, but it looks like it doesn't matter). Did you remove the rear carpet as well?

EDIT: Oh yeah and that was me that gave you rep from the Burbank meet thread...I forgot to put my name

·
Registered
415 Posts
SoCalDawg said:
C16 would probably hurt your performance, not help it. Higher octane burns at a slower rate, so you would have less efficient combustion..... Unless it is a NA engine that is radical or tuned to the ragged edge, I would say not worth it. Hope this helps.
:bigthumb:
Rule of thumb is you want to use the lowest octane you can get away with without detonating.

~Alan

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wouldnt higher octane burn at a faster rate? Running race gas is healther for the engine? Or is it bad since the car isnt made for such high levels.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why is it that lots of V8 NA muscle cars use race fuel? what is the difference???

·
Registered
330 Posts
kevganzon said:
why is it that lots of V8 NA muscle cars use race fuel? what is the difference???
Two possible things..... High compression and/or way advanced ignition timing.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nsx4ever said:
....Anything over 95 octane for mildly modified NA is probably over kill imho. Save the money towards other things.

Reducing weight will definitely help, you accelerate faster, stop faster.
This is all last minute and i am definitely saving for something that'll make a bigger difference for the car. Im just curious to see what i can do while the car is still NA. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts