Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get something new. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these 2 seeing I dont want to spend a ton of money and want power with luxury. I was wondering if any of you guys have owned these cars or know more about them than I do. I heard the BMW m3s have engine and tranny problems if u have the SMG. Any help would be appreciated. Or any other car suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I haven't driven a C32, but from what I've read, the M3 is the more involving car. I'd pick that one.

G

·
i just sold my e46 m3 a couple of months ago - and i would buy
another one in a heart beat

*decent acceleration
*all the bells and whistles
* so stable at high speeds
* you feel rich driving the car - it has that effect on you

they do have a recall for some bearing problem - so have the car
checked out - to make sure all the recalls have been performed

im on ebay looking at white e46 m3's - you can pick one up from $32k
to $38k -

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
the bearing issue was before june of 02 or 03 I think. Do a search for e46 s54 engine problem and you can find the dates. Obviously buy a car that came off the line after that if decide the bimmer is right for you.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
M3, C32 doesn't have shit compared to the M3. Now if you're talking SL500 and M3 I may think differently since that's a more fair comparison in my opinion. (minus the price of course!)

Forza,
Kevin

G

·
An sl nothing like an m, i don't know why you'd make that comparison. The recalled engines have a 100k warranty, to me that's a good thing. The m's are nice cars, i almost bought one, but decided to go with the benz. more options and more performance.

although in my case, it also meant more money

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
If you are in the M3 price range I would also recommend on looking at a CTS-V. Handles very well, and it will blow away both of those cars with no problem.

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
:rolleyes: And you would base this opinion on? Have you ever driven in one? Do you know what the fit and finish of the CTS-V is like? I bet you're the kind of person that think that since it's a American car that it's full of flaws, and breaks down all the time.

I just recently test drove, a 04 S4, C55, M3 and a CTS-V and the CTS-V is by far the best overall car out of the 4.

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
Depends on what you want out of the car. I have a C32. Great power and torque and very good brakes. Great point and squirt car; excellent long distance cruiser. Looks the part as well as it's fairly stealthy. Can easily keep up with an E46 M3 from a roll because of superior (and instant) torque. So-so fit and finish, easily confused tranny (in bumper to bumper) and 34,000 on it to date. No full size or temporary spare, smallish (16.5 gallon fuel tank); manufactured during MB's bad period ('99-'03). Eats rear tires (on my third set).

My sense is that it is the better car to have out of warranty if that matters to you. I based this on my so-so experience with MB and three of my friends who have the M3 and all of which condemn BMWs service practices. The E46 is definitely the driver's car and, to my eyes at least, is more attractive. Interior fit and finish appears to be superior to the Merc as well. Lots of nagging problems; not just the well publicized engine woes of yore. If you drive it like you are suppose to, be prepared to know your dealer on a first name basis and to be involved in incessant tug-of-wars with dealership personnel and manufacturer's reps if my friends' experiences are any indication.

Not sure I would want to have either car out of warranty but, as I noted above, I think the MB might be superior in this regard. Note, though, that most of my opinions regarding the E46 come from friends of mine that own the car; whereas my C32 experience has been first person. Hope this helps.

Ken.

G

·
G said:
:rolleyes: And you would base this opinion on? Have you ever driven in one? Do you know what the fit and finish of the CTS-V is like? I bet you're the kind of person that think that since it's a American car that it's full of flaws, and breaks down all the time.

I just recently test drove, a 04 S4, C55, M3 and a CTS-V and the CTS-V is by far the best overall car out of the 4.
Different strokes for different folks, though the CTS-V is quite a nice little car. I love the touch button entry and exit.

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
cds01 said:
yeah, cause german cars break down way more than american cars.
Funny you should say that. My friends 01 CLK 430 has had the following problems:

fog lights go out all the time
middle of the grill comes off for no reason, Mercedes solution, zip ties :stickpoke :wtflol:
dash lights go out
fuel gauge went out
wheels were warped, all 4 of them
power seats went out
simple brake pads and new sensors over 400 dollars :freak:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts