Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely not flawless, and this isn't the only thread I've seen. I generally don't like to buy the first year of any new model, but GM and F.O.R.D. seem to have a particularly tough time getting new models started, the 2001 Z06 had several major issues as well for some. Something to keep in mind in the future when you start thinking about used C6 Z06s......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1445312

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Hand built engines...quality control is always more sketchy on stuff like that, although AMG seems to do all right. ;)

·
Proud Supporter of NE2K9
661 Posts
Personally, working on more than a handfull of 5.5L SC'ed AMG cars, I've seen many bolts "loose" on the motor in the Benz' in pretty brand new carswhich were never touched yet. From valve cover bolts, to header bolts, accesorry brackets, etc, I've seen a lot of loose bolts. I asked Kleeman, (a BENZ tuner), about this loose bolt problem, and they say it's very common. Maybee someone should remove the bottle of Johnny Blue out of the engine room in GM, and AMG. LOL.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
TheGVR4kid said:
You don't wanna buy a "World Cup Month" built AMG. :lol:
Ha, ha. Got a friend at BMW (a researcher, not assembler though) and he as well as all his friends (much less that part of thehemisphere) is so crazy about soccer. I remember grad school when they'd take 90+ min. breaks for weeks to follow the pulse of that series.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Hand built engines...quality control is always more sketchy on stuff like that,
I get that sense too. The best hand builts may be better than the best of the automated production motors. But I'm sure the worst hand built units are more common-place than automated produced units with good quality control in use.

I think the LT5 ZR1 motor was built with manual labor extensively by Mercury Marine and C&D commented on inconsistent build quality.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
i would rather it a be an automated engine. I dont want some guys fight with his slutty wife the night before effecting my engine build.

There have definatley been some build issues, but the car is till holding on to its audience. They will hold decent value for a while yet too. But wait until warranties start ending. They will drop like tanks. The new SS or Blue Devil will drop thema bit too.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is why they make warranties. I understand though how fustrating it can get taking a car in and our of the shop. O well, I pick my new Machine Silver 2007 Z06 up tomorrow, so I'll let y'all know how it goes.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Prices are falling hard already for the C6Z, and I must say I was surprised it held on for so long to the "over MSRP" stuff. I'm sure that rising interest rates had a real effect on this too, as people are buckling down more than they would be otherwise, and GM actually did over produce them for the 06 model year.

All good news to enthusiasts like me, who just want them for the performance and not the "status/hype". :bigthumb:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Prices are falling hard already for the C6Z, and I must say I was surprised it held on for so long to the "over MSRP" stuff. I'm sure that rising interest rates had a real effect on this too, as people are buckling down more than they would be otherwise, and GM actually did over produce them for the 06 model year.

All good news to enthusiasts like me, who just want them for the performance and not the "status/hype". :bigthumb:

Not really seeing the "falling hard" since I've already heard of 2 2007's going for $90,000. And there are a few on E-bay going for 90-95k. The 2006's may be falling because of roofs flying off and doesn't have the new options but the hype is still there.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
So it looks like I am heading for engine number 3.
IMO it would be ok to pull the hand built enigne card if a few went bad per car on a large batch but 3 engines on one car. Fuck GM, I hope they go under and take all their pos cars with them.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
GSXXXguy said:
IMO it would be ok to pull the hand built enigne card if a few went bad per car on a large batch but 3 engines on one car. Fuck GM, I hope they go under and take all their pos cars with them.
You can hope all you want, but GM will never go under. The government will keep them afloat if they need to since they provide so many jobs for americans. The best thing you can do is hope they get bought out...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont own a Corvette, probably never will...

But I find it sad and pathetic that we have to resort to mocking its quality because it has stunned and silenced us all on the performance side.

·
6,137 Posts
we are mocking is quality because its a hunk of shit. When you drive it you will understand it ALL disappears, but at the end of the day, you still have to deal with a shitty car. Just because you can go fast like that for 70k doesnt mean its a quality car. Spend some time with the Z0 and you will change your mind.

·
6,137 Posts
read my post again. shittially built very capable car.

oh and the inside door "handles" are driving me crazy. :rant2:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts