Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Administrator
17,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure that I had a similar thread about 6 months ago, but want to try this again. Let me try to outline my own personal needs/wants so that the question is easier to answer, rather than a blatant "which one do you like better" thread.

My general requirements for the car:

1. Get in and drive fun, not a project car whatsoever
2. Minor mods OK, but more personalization than performance modification
3. Must be daily driveable, and reasonably friendly for normal driving
4. Should not break the bank, service cost or insurance wise
5. Storage capacity, for taking road trips
6. Something I can enjoy for years to come

Nice to have:

1. Resale value
2. Relative rarity
3. Quality of construction/materials
4. "Exotic" appeal
5. "Fun to drive" or "feel" quotient, interaction with driver

So, based on what I just listed above, I'd say the C6 Z06 wins the "general category" by a slight margin, but that the 996TT wins the "nice to have" category hands down.

Completely ruling out the Nissan GTR on the basis of initial purchase costs and maintenance prices, I've settled down to the C6 Z06 and the 996TT as the only top contenders left on my short list. The fact that a 996TT just came on the market locally to me (rare to find one just right locally) has got my attention again, so I'd like to spend a bit more time thinking about this before the upcoming weekend.

Thanks in advance, even though this is yet another "oh for f#cks sake...another one of THESE kind of threads?". :lol:

·
There can only be one!
1,604 Posts
Say these 2 sentences out loud to yourself and I think you will have your answer:

"I drive a Corvette"

or

"I drive a Porsche, and no, not a gay boxster"

:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
This is a tough one to answer, me i would go for the Z06 for the fact that the maintenance costs will be a lot less and the simple aftermarket parts are cheaper as well. I have have a friend who has a 996tt and he complains all the time "just spent another grand to fix this". Yea the 996 will hold its value better than the z06 but in the long it will even out with the cost of maintenance on the 996.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Buy a Porsche at the bottom of market value built by a profitable company , or a Corvette built by a US company who is on the verge of bankrupcy and likely to plummet like previous Z06s ?

Answer is pretty clear to me but I'm biased :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Say these 2 sentences out loud to yourself and I think you will have your answer:

"I drive a Chevrolet"

or

"I drive a Porsche, and no, not a gay boxster"

:)
fixed :)

I think its a wash for your general requirements, but the Porsche owns in the "nice to have" -except maybe #5. That, and you can find them in the 40s now!

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Since I don't see track days or drag racing up there, I'd do the 996 TT cause it covers everything in both categories, and to me would be more fun because it it more sexy and less common. EXCEPT service and when things break I have heard can be quite expensive for 996 TT's. I'd do some research comparing service procedures and replacement parts, and if the 996 falls into your realm of accepability, I'd get it. Otherwise, Z06 :)

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
This is not even close based on the criteria you outlined, 996TT, PERIOD.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I think your analysis is right on. The Z06 wins the general and the 996TT wins the nice to have. The tipping point in my mind is the maintenance cost for the general category. If you're willing and able to do the maintenance and repair on the 996TT yourself, and don't pay a dealer, then I'd say it's no longer an issue. It's still not as cheap as the Z06, but it's not a big deal. You can get the parts at reasonable prices from an Oregan dealer at reduced prices so that helps a lot. In that case the 996T wins both categories.

·
Administrator
17,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention that the 996TT in question already has a GT2 front bumper, but not a GT2 rear wing (just tne normal 996TT rear wing). The car also comes with Fikse wheels, and is firmly in my price range.

Thanks for the comments so far, and please keep them coming if you have any other good points of consideration. The OC crew is always the place to turn for delimmas such as this one. ;)

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
In light of that additional information, write the check for the P-car right now and get it over with.
:stupid:

And if you don't get it pass the info along to me as I have a friend in the market for a 996TT:)

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Here is a picture of the actual car in question.
Not a fan of those wheels but if I were you I wouldn't even think of getting a Z06 over that car......

·
Boost Creep
3,489 Posts
^ Steve, are you serious?

That's a no brainer, that P-car is gorgeous. MORE PICS!!

/drool

Makes my soup look like a POS.

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
Sexy 996!!! If the maintenance costs aren't that big of a deal breaker for you, snap that beauty up. Any more info on it? Mileage, mods and such?

·
Administrator
17,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I'm serious. We're talking about a Porsche with 40k miles and no warranty verus a "hypothetical" 2007 C6 Z06 with full GM warranty for 5 years/100k miles, whatever that is worth if GM goes belly up.

The consumables may actually even out since the Z06 has more expensive tire sizes (not by much) but I'm thinking about stuff like major services, insurance, etc. Obviously I'm willing to spend a good chunk of money on a car (like all good Supra or former Supra owners) but I'm wanting to minimize my surprises a bit. I know that few things are truly affordable in the 996TT world relative to the world of Corvettes, and that the 996TT is much harder to work on for any reasonably involved DIY stuff.

Guilly, agreed on the wheels, but I'm guessing I'd like them a lot more if they were simply refinished. Since they are extremely high quality wheels, I'm still thinking of them as a big "pro" in this equation relative to stock rims.

The asking price is already pretty attractive, but in-line with what I'd expect to pay for a 2001 996TT with 40k miles. That mileage doesn't really bother me since it comes to about 5k miles per year, and I'd probably drive the car a similar amount in the future too.

Here is the description of the actual car:

2001 Porsche Twin Turbo finished in Black over Black...Supple Leather, I-Pod Hook up, Upgraded ECU, six speed manual, GT2 front bumper with full Venture Shield wrap on bumper, full hood, and full fenders, Black Fikse Profil wheels, Carbon Fiber Interior pack, All services up to date, Fully detailed using Zymol Vintage Wax. All books and tools! Runs and drives perfectly!

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Steve, I hear you on the maintenance "concerns" but keep in mind that in general Porsches (especially 911TT's) are very reliable.

Of course nothing beats having a warranty.......

I still say get the 996TT!:) But I'm sure you knew that even before posting this thread based on previous posts of mine in relation to these 2 cars.

BTW, I agree with you on the wheels, plus often times they look better in person than pics.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts