Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a cage technically illegal for street use?......I mean could I drive around with stripped interior and a funny car cage on the street?

·
Registered
242 Posts
BreakNeck said:
Is a cage technically illegal for street use?......I mean could I drive around with stripped interior and a funny car cage on the street?
I've got a few friends here in PA with cages and I've never heard of them catching heat from the LEO'S. Then again they don't have "funny car" style cages.

Are you talking about doing full halo bar and all that?
I don't think I'd wanna drive a car with that much piping around my head on the streets mainly for safty purposes unless you plan on wearing a helmet :bigthumb:

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,919 Posts
I have a 6 point (no swingouts) in mine and everytime I've been pulled over, the cops never even mention anything about the cage.

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
in all the cars we have done and owned we have never or heard of anyone having a problem, but thats not to say if you get that one asshole cop he's not gonna break your balls... he could give you a ticket for it being a visual impairment or something stupid like that... my uncle got a ticket for not having a stock seat belt in his car(he had a 5 point harness on) when he went to court and after showing the judge the harness, the judge told the cop to find better things to do with his time then bother people who are'nt breaking the law..lmao..

I live in Ny, which I would say is ranked up there in the states/cities of ball breaking cops.. esp with all the street racing that goes on here.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is a 25.5 basically a 10-point with a funny car cage/halo? I would like to build the cage without the funny car setup but I want to be able to add it in the future without redoing everything.

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
BreakNeck said:
Is a 25.5 basically a 10-point with a funny car cage/halo? I would like to build the cage without the funny car setup but I want to be able to add it in the future without redoing everything.

a 25.5 has extra floor bars and little differences.. what you can do is have your chassis guy do everything needed underneath the car and just leave out the funny car part and the front half of the X in the door bars.. then it will still be good for 8.50's and you can upgrade it later on... unibody cars are different then cars that have frames as far as the bar s need under the car.. heres a pic of the underneath of my fathers skylark.. some of the bars in the rear of the car are'nt needed and have nothing to do with the cage, just there to brace the suspension mounting points...

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts

heres the underneath of a unibody car thats another chassis shop is doing... as you can see, its has outer tubing rails and it doesnt have the diagonals going form the inner rail to the outer rail, cause it doesnt need them in a unibody car...

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
hqen2000 said:
Anyone know about the laws here in Cali?
Dont know about the laws but in my case it gave the highway patorl officer a reason to ask me to pop my hood. I wouldnt suggest it in Cali, unless it is a drag only car.

Lawrence

·
Banned
66 Posts
JP IMPORTZ said:
I;m planning to drive this thing on the street. Yes.. The street...
JPI
Damn dude, you ever hit your head on a halo getting in/out of a car without a helmet? I have and it damn sure doesn't feel good, that bar does NOT move (not even an inch!) but your head sure as hell will. NO way I'd try to drive around on the street with a cage like that. Not to mention if the car is truly set up to run the kind of ET's a 25.5 car should, it would be far from "streetable".

·
Banned
66 Posts
Sure you can get padding for it, thus blocking your view even more.

Not to mention, the one place where you hit your head will be the one place you didn't place padding :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts