Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· SF-OT Lurker :]
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have finals coming up for spring quarter this coming week... and was stoked to finish. I just spoke with my counselor recently, filled out my flow chart, etc... and I was on track to finish next spring. Problem is, I needed to take a class in the summer to fill the prerequisite for my senior project in the fall, in order to graduate by next spring, and they CANCEL summer school due to state budget cuts. What a fucking joke. I cant take this class at a community college because its an upper division class (hydraulic engineering) and I am shit outta luck along with everyone else in my school.

People are telling me this is a good thing because there are no jobs, you don't want to graduate in this economic climate, you don't want to graduate period etc etc, but now I am going to be in school for AT LEAST another half year, which is another half year of DOLLARS being thrown at the school. Instead of finishing up my civil engineering degree in 5 years, its going to be at least 5 1/2 - 6 years. I want to get out of this money sucking school and the blackhole that it is.

Sorry I just had to rant.... But I just wanted to know if any other state funded school (CSU, UC) are affected by the recent budget cuts and are affecting you personally?

· Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,847 Posts
Dude its not only CSU's and UC's its also all of the Community colleges...!!
-GCC almost cancelled summer as well, but i heard they made a petition to maintain it open, so we are able to take classes, but the problem now is that MANY, and i mean MANY other people from nearby schools are taking classes their since their school is not offering classes for the summer, like PCC, LACC, El Camino etc. so the Damm school is fucken packed like Sardines...!!

-And to top it off, Old people, mostly Armenian ladies from the Neighborhood, have started to go back to school, due to their lay-Off's as well, as trying to seek higher education since their jobs might, or are in Jeapordy...!!..really sucks bro that your school is not offering classes, but i guess everyone is going to feel the impact that this economy is going through..!!:sad:

-Also IMO, it is So, Sooo Stupid how they want us to get a higher Education Here In America, to try and compete with the Out0Side world, but guess whats the 1st thing to go when they need to cut back on funds??
-THE SCHOOL SYSTEM...!!(How Stupid Is That?)

· Mr. 2JZUL8R
8,901 Posts
I hear ya man! Cal State Long Beach from what i have gathered from my psych class at el camino right now hasnt accepted anyone yet for psych! one girl in my class has a 3.5gpa and they denied her!!! Me and three other friends got denied "due to budget cuts".

so now im going to fullerton! :p

· Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,847 Posts

· Exiled Supra Owner
3,986 Posts
Ah yes, I remeber Cal State Long Beach accepting my pitiful 2.6 GPA 15 years ago. Now it's tough to get in Cal State Long Beach, I heard you actually have to be a 3.5+ GPA student to get accepted now.

1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow this really is upsetting to hear.
From what I was reading also is that they are trying to
shut down some of the smaller CSUs such as Chico.
That would be pretty shitty to hear.
Guess I will just work this summer full time.
Sucks I opted to not get an internship this summer
because I thought I was going to be in school...
Oh wells.

· You know I'm retarded...
3,548 Posts
Sorry about this but it's been on news last week. There are cuting down the whole California school this is including middle and high school not just colleges as well. Yes it true there will be no longer having summer school. Also I've hearing books will be not be doing any printing, so the books in school will be using the same one the next 5-10years.

IF this economy keeping up like this, I will be gone to either Hawaii or Japan for next year.

· Registered
473 Posts
im with you guys. At UCI, they cut back on a bunch of necessities such as FINANCIAL AID!! If I don't get financial aid, i dont go to school simple as that. Ridiculous on how they would actually implement budget cuts when it comes to education. I just had to take out a 10k loan because of this for school. Geez california sucks. =(

1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im with you guys. At UCI, they cut back on a bunch of necessities such as FINANCIAL AID!! If I don't get financial aid, i dont go to school simple as that. Ridiculous on how they would actually implement budget cuts when it comes to education. I just had to take out a 10k loan because of this for school. Geez california sucks. =(
I just took out a 10k loan myself... for just this upcoming school year. I was planning on graduating next year.... so this is balls.

· your evil twin
9 Posts
sorry to hear...i graduated from cal poly not too long ago with an BArch...seriously was just the wrong time for me to get out. Just think of it as more time to work on your senior project.

also check out ucla extension center, they usually have a good list of upper division classes

· Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,847 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.