Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working in my dash the other day and by accident i moved the fuel needle out of whack...
The knew the car was full with fuel..so i figured if i take the needle off..turn the car on and let the gauge set itself, i could put the needle back on in the full position and it will be ok...but that didnt work..now the gauge is about a 1/4 tank off ...if the car is empty is still shows there is 1/4 tank left, but the gas light still comes on when the fuel is low..

Anyone know how i can put it back the right way, or am i screwed??

I am hoping i had the right idea but just didnt eye it out right

thanks in advance
Ant

·
Registered
721 Posts
Did you find a solution? i'm having similar problems.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds like your fuel gauge float is sticking. Most likely it's hanging on the sub-tank. Make sure the fuel pump hanger alignment marker is properly aligned with the arrow on the tank. The low fuel sensor is a seperate sensor from the float and is most likely correct. When the float hangs it usually freezes at just under 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ no this has nothing to do with the sensor or the float...i simply moved the needle with my hand by accident when i was removing the gauges...Now i just need a good way to set it back to normal...I filled my tank up and tried to put the needle right on the full mark but i dont have a steady enough hand to get it perfect so my gauge reads slightly higher then it is, but the low fuel light still works..I figured my needle is about an 1/8th of a tank off..I figured this by driving till my gas light came on and i looked and the fuel needle was pointing to an 1/8 the of a tank...so now when i fill it up the needle shows about an 1/8 of a tank over the "F" line...

I just want it to be perfect...any easy ways to do this or do i just hae to keep trying the way i did it and hopefully get lucky?

thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
^^^ no this has nothing to do with the sensor or the float...i simply moved the needle with my hand by accident when i was removing the gauges...Now i just need a good way to set it back to normal...I filled my tank up and tried to put the needle right on the full mark but i dont have a steady enough hand to get it perfect so my gauge reads slightly higher then it is, but the low fuel light still works..I figured my needle is about an 1/8th of a tank off..I figured this by driving till my gas light came on and i looked and the fuel needle was pointing to an 1/8 the of a tank...so now when i fill it up the needle shows about an 1/8 of a tank over the "F" line...

I just want it to be perfect...any easy ways to do this or do i just hae to keep trying the way i did it and hopefully get lucky?

thanks
Anthony
Actually this doesn't really sound wrong -- or if it is, maybe just a tad too high a reading from the gauge. I think my light comes on at about one-eighth tank (I like that because I do NOT want to starve it of fuel under boost so the reminder is fine with me even if it were slightly "early"), and IIRC it shows a bit over F when it's full (don't recall if it's quite as much as an eighth above F, but it's well above the F line.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Setting the needle on while it is FULL will not work. Since if the needle it not in it the gauge motor mill spin too far. that is why it takes a little while before the needle will move off of full after you have filled it and driven for a while. The only way that i have found to do this is to drive it until the yellow warning light comes on. When that happens, you know that the needle should be pointing at the first line above empty. Just make sure that you leave the key on while placing the needle. Then shutit off and turn it back on and wait a while. If it stays you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^ thanks ill try that...i always thought the gas light comes on when its on the last line on the bottom of the gauge.

Most cars do read slightly higher then the "F" when they are full, but mine is showing more then that...plus it takes along time for the needle to start moving before it shows i used any gas.

Ill try it with no gas in the hank..that might be easier.
the last time i did it i had my guages sitting in front of my , not in the dash but still connected..then i turned the key on and if you look closely you can see the little gears or whatever the needle attaches to turning. I just waited a few mins till they all settled and then tried to put the needle on, but i couldnt get it right..not to mention my fingers were soo chewed up, bleeding, and in pain from pulling the needles on and off...Im so dreading that again..:sad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts