Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up to an intersection, i noticed a noise as if I ran over something. A few feet later, I heard a clunk in the drivers front and I applied the brakes. Immediately the front wheels stopped turning and I came to a screeching halt. I tried to move the car and when I put on the brakes, I heard the clunk again and the wheel stopped turning. I used the ebrake to stop the car and pulled into the parking lot that was closest, about 25 feet away. I took off the wheel to see the damage. As I looked around I saw a bolt where I had stopped in the road. I ran over and picked up the bolt, returned to the car and noticed that this was the bolt that helt the bottom of the caliper in place. Apparently, when I put my foot on the brake the caliper rotated out towards the inner part of the wheel. Since the wheel was turning, the caliper wedged itself up against the inside of the wheel causing the wheel to stop immediately. Lucky for me, the only damage was a scratch on the inside of the wheel. I had a friend go and get a few tools, put the bolts back on, very tight. I checked them the next morning and the other side as well. I guess the mechanic wasn't very diligent in torqueing down the bolts. Could have been a lot more serious if it had happened at the end of the 1/4 mile runs I was making last weekend.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mechanic!!

QWIKSTRIKE said:
who the hell is your mechanic. If its you dont work on your car. If someone else dont got back. You are fortunate!
It was the mechanic of the guy I bought the car from....I called him and warned him about his work. He said he was going right out and checking his bolts cause he had just had more work done there on another car.....

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,908 Posts
jkendall86 said:
It was the mechanic of the guy I bought the car from....I called him and warned him about his work. He said he was going right out and checking his bolts cause he had just had more work done there on another car.....

He owes you! But don't go back for anymore work.lol Good you werent hurt. :bigthumb:

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Torque rating for that bolt is like... 27ft-lbs... that's not even that tight, he must have just put them in finger tight or something....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coming up to an intersection, i noticed a noise as if I ran over something. A few feet later, I heard a clunk in the drivers front and I applied the brakes. Immediately the front wheels stopped turning and I came to a screeching halt. I tried to move the car and when I put on the brakes, I heard the clunk again and the wheel stopped turning. I used the ebrake to stop the car and pulled into the parking lot that was closest, about 25 feet away. I took off the wheel to see the damage. As I looked around I saw a bolt where I had stopped in the road. I ran over and picked up the bolt, returned to the car and noticed that this was the bolt that helt the bottom of the caliper in place. Apparently, when I put my foot on the brake the caliper rotated out towards the inner part of the wheel. Since the wheel was turning, the caliper wedged itself up against the inside of the wheel causing the wheel to stop immediately. Lucky for me, the only damage was a scratch on the inside of the wheel. I had a friend go and get a few tools, put the bolts back on, very tight. I checked them the next morning and the other side as well. I guess the mechanic wasn't very diligent in torqueing down the bolts. Could have been a lot more serious if it had happened at the end of the 1/4 mile runs I was making last weekend.
This exact same thing just happened to me, im stuck on the side of the road! How could this happen! I bought a set of tires from les schwab yesterday and they inspected my brakes at that time. Are they at fault?

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
232 Posts
If they just inspected it not necessarily, but if they really DID inspect it I'm surprised they didn't find a problem

·
7M Fanatic
3,255 Posts
This should never happen, unless they pulled those bolts to inspect the pads, and forgot to tighten one,
maybe both...
Look at the other side, and see if you can see disturbed road dirt on the bolt head.
If they did that, then they are 100% responsible !
Don't tell them what happened, ask them how they inspected your brakes.
About the only way they will admit it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts