Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to get these caliper bolts off.
so far tried: breaker bar, impact wrench, pb blaster (penetrant) followed by impact wrench, followed by more pb blaster 24hrs then more pb blaster and impact wrench. I have a small torch, I thought about heating them up a bit. Any idea what the specs are on those bolts, after this trauma replacing them might be a good idea.

any ideas???? All the $hit I've done before just aint working:dunno:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had the same problem.....I have a strange solution but it worked for me........... after battling with it for about an hour, I just gave it a good yank in the direction that would tighten the bolt instead of untightening it, then I gave it a good yank to untighten it and it loosened right up........weird I know but it did work......... I also used a squirt or two of WD40.

Hope this helps.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SuprasMaximus said:
I had the same problem.....I have a strange solution but it worked for me........... after battling with it for about an hour, I just gave it a good yank in the direction that would tighten the bolt instead of untightening it, then I gave it a good yank to untighten it and it loosened right up........weird I know but it did work......... I also used a squirt or two of WD40.

Hope this helps.
Did you re-use the bolts or replace them? thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I re-used them.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
You could try to heat the part the bolt threds into and then try the impact. Always worked for me. Another Idea would be heat as stated before then try some candle wax, get a big skinny candle and when you get it somewhat glowing red then push the candle into where the threads go. I know it sounds weird thats what I had thaught when my dad told me, but Ill be damed it worked.

Lawrence

·
Registered
286 Posts
I used a breaker bar with a floor jack handle. 1 inch ext on a 12 point 1/2 inch drive socket. Jacked the car up, PB blaser for about 10 min. Came off, but put up a better fight then I thought.

If it was me, I'd replace them. Anything that is that hard coming out, isn't going to come out the way it should have. They are 80c a peice If I recall right...If all else fails, use a torch, but becare of the CV boot rubber and be weary of the brake line off the cailper, remember, focused heat in quick passes on the bolt crown.

Justin

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just did this same thing 2 weeks ago. I jacked up the front and put jack stands on both sides, turned the wheels to get a better angle and then I was able to remove them. If it's the rear I have no idea how I would have done it without the car being on a lift. I also had about as much trouble with getting the old rotors off.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
use anti-seize when you put them back in...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Space taking into consideration, try attaching a long metal piping or something to your breaking to create more leverage. Also, let the pb blaster (or the like) soak in for awhile. It's amazing how much added leverage you can get for by having an extra 6 foot pole.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Spray them with Brakleen or grease cleaner. Use a vice wrench.
what a hack! Vise grips! UGH! Use some heat, apply heat slowly with a propane torch to where the female threads are. Heat it up evenly and then use the right tool and remove the bolt.

If you use an extension, you willl likely shear the bolt and then your work is tripled.

Don't use vise grips. The pb blaster is a good idea, and so is tightening the bolt 1/16 or 1/8 of a turn if you can, that breaks it loose. The heat should work well.

Cool the caliper off asap as you will run the risk of damaging the seals that are in the caliper if you don't cool it down. I use compressed air, not water.

-M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts