Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nominally, new would be the best choice, but for now purchasing a rebuilt or buying a rebuild kit are my options. Does anyone have any pros or cons for these options?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I'm taking care of some other things right now (so it'll be a few weeks before I do mine), but I ordered the rebuild kits from Autozone for less than $20 total (all 4). They do not include new bleeder screws like the Toyota rebuild kit. However, I don't need those bleeders, 'cause I got replacement speed-bleeders off Ebay that I will install when I rebuild 'em.

Now, before everyone else jumps in... the TRSM shows the rebuild/replacement process and it does not seem too hard to do. If you are unsure about it, might as well get the rebuilt ones and have less to worry about. I believe that they run about $75 for each rebuilt caliper (not from Toyota tho).

I've done alot of things myself (on my Sup), so I'm okay with trying this too. I've never done 'em before, so I guess we'll soon see the results ;-)

Anyways, decision-maker for me.... $300 for a set that "someone else" rebuilt, or $20 and an afternoon to do 'em myself....

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
When my left rear caliper failed, I thought about the same thing.

Instead of buying a rebuild kit, or a new caliper... I traded my SSQV bov from YakuzaStinger here in town.

Works great now. :)

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
MK3Brent said:
When my left rear caliper failed, I thought about the same thing.

Instead of buying a rebuild kit, or a new caliper... I traded my SSQV bov from YakuzaStinger here in town.

Works great now. :)
:scratch:

Anyway, rebuilding callipers isnt too tricky at all. I rebuilded some of mine a while back (first time i'd ever attampted it). I've since done 3 more sets for friends, its really no big deal - just get yourself some real long nose pliers for the circlip down the bottom of the cylinder

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
MK3Brent said:
"Just buy another working one."

Cheapest option.
A rebuild kit (even from toyota) is pretty cheap. At least if you rebuild it you end up with a calliper than is reliable and has lots of life left in it - who knows what a second hand calliper is like.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I had a BITCH of a time getting the circlip in the bore. In fact.. mine isn't in correctly as its folded over itself. I got pissed and said screw it. i also ripped the boot on this same side as well.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a replacement caliper and roll with it. It would be well worth my time. Slide the old one off, slide the new one on and bleed the brakes.. done.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
The boot is what was damaged on mine, and I think the road salt from MD got in there and caused all sorts of issues. :(

So far so good on my new one though.

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
aljordan said:
I had a BITCH of a time getting the circlip in the bore. In fact.. mine isn't in correctly as its folded over itself. I got pissed and said screw it. i also ripped the boot on this same side as well.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a replacement caliper and roll with it. It would be well worth my time. Slide the old one off, slide the new one on and bleed the brakes.. done.
You were using the wrong tools - simple.

I bought a pair of real long nose pliers (cost about $10) and ground the points down so they'd fit in the circlip holes. With these, removing and reinstalling the circlip takes about 5 minutes.

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
87Turbo said:
Toyota kits don't include bleeder screws, at least for the rear calipers anyways.
^ The Toyota kits for the front don't either, only the rubber caps for the bleeder screws. I rebuilt all 4 of my original calipers with the Toyota kits, easy job.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
^^Really? Wow, I was told that they did include the bleeder screws. I figured that's why I was getting 'em so cheap from Autozone. After my last bout with air in the system and never-ending bleeding sessions, I decided to get the speed bleeders anyways. Looks like I made a good choice anyways.

Where can I get the dust covers at? Since they aren't included in the kits.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
gmacrae said:
You were using the wrong tools - simple.

I bought a pair of real long nose pliers (cost about $10) and ground the points down so they'd fit in the circlip holes. With these, removing and reinstalling the circlip takes about 5 minutes.

Maybe we're talking about different clips. Since I don't see how a wire that is uses to push outward could be held with a sert of needle nose pliers. This clip seals the boot to the caliper, not the boot to the piston.

I did get that circlip on, but the ends are overlapped. Not exaclty how it should be, but it'll work for a while. At lesat unitl I get mad at it and decide to tear into it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts