Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear hatch won't completely open when I pull on the latch from inside the driver's seat. I mean the hatch will open but is still locked in. If you can't see what I'm trying to say, just imagine closing one of your vehicle doors but not all the way. I'm asking the fella's with the 98's because I haven't heard of this problem ever occurring in any of the other years. Is this even considered a ‘problem’ though if it was indeed standard on the 98’s? Is it just me or am I just simply not getting it? Because if this is the case, what the hell is the point of having a latch from inside to open the rear hatch when it can only be fully opened with the key? I’ve only had the car for less than 2 months so I’m still getting acquainted with her. Before anyone tries to suggest that maybe the locking mechanism in my hatch took a dump, a local buddy of mine bought his ’98 with 13k miles a few years back and had the same thing. He actually laughed and welcomed me to hell with this so you can only imagine how annoying it is. I don’t often put shit in the trunk area unless I have to if you know what I mean? :ky: Woot! It’s not that big of a deal but when I do I can’t help myself but think for a minute about what the hell is the point of this.

Is this a common thing with the 98's? If so, why?. Also if it is I plan on swapping out the locking mechanism with my '97. Is the job a piece of cake? Oh and YESSSS I tried searching.

Thanks, Vince

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,220 Posts
VINZE said:
My rear hatch won't completely open when I pull on the latch from inside the driver's seat. I mean the hatch will open but is still locked in. If you can't see what I'm trying to say, just imagine closing one of your vehicle doors but not all the way. I'm asking the fella's with the 98's because I haven't heard of this problem ever occurring in any of the other years. Is this even considered a ‘problem’ though if it was indeed standard on the 98’s? Is it just me or am I just simply not getting it? Because if this is the case, what the hell is the point of having a latch from inside to open the rear hatch when it can only be fully opened with the key? I’ve only had the car for less than 2 months so I’m still getting acquainted with her. Before anyone tries to suggest that maybe the locking mechanism in my hatch took a dump, a local buddy of mine bought his ’98 with 13k miles a few years back and had the same thing. He actually laughed and welcomed me to hell with this so you can only imagine how annoying it is. I don’t often put shit in the trunk area unless I have to if you know what I mean? :ky: Woot! It’s not that big of a deal but when I do I can’t help myself but think for a minute about what the hell is the point of this.

Is this a common thing with the 98's? If so, why?. Also if it is I plan on swapping out the locking mechanism with my '97. Is the job a piece of cake? Oh and YESSSS I tried searching.

Thanks, Vince

My buddy has a 98' QS with about 22K miles, he has the "latch problem" as you described. He hasn't tried to adjust it yet, but it very well could be a 98' thing.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Dang, this is the first time I heard of problems with the hatch latch...hatch latch..sounds funny. good luck vinze.

G

·
I have this problem as well, if i have my key in the engine, i have to take it out to unlock the hatch, or i pull the latch on the drivers side all the way and have someone else open the hatch....its sooo very annoying :(

How do you fix this?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
yes vince, this problem surfaced about 2 months after i bought my car in 98... i find if i lift the lever really hard a 2nd time, the latch will open 50% of the time...

G

·
carendt242 said:
yes vince, this problem surfaced about 2 months after i bought my car in 98... i find if i lift the lever really hard a 2nd time, the latch will open 50% of the time...
And you never bothered to have the Toyota dealer fix it under warranty?

... :dunno: ... :freak: ...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Stealth021 said:
And you never bothered to have the Toyota dealer fix it under warranty?

... :dunno: ... :freak: ...
toyota mechanics are lucky if they can figure out how to open the hood of a supra...

they're not as good as those chevy mechanics working on your 97 chevy truck...

besides, it's a minor inconvenience... there are usually too many other problems to worry about this...

·
Mods before Broads ;)
926 Posts
I only had to read the first two sentences. Yes, it's a 98' thing. My 98' does, my cousin Karun's does, and when my other cousin Raj had his 98' it did too. :dunno: Minor thing though.

G

·
carendt242 said:
toyota mechanics are lucky if they can figure out how to open the hood of a supra...

they're not as good as those chevy mechanics working on your 97 chevy truck...

besides, it's a minor inconvenience... there are usually too many other problems to worry about this...
Wow, you are one of those saps on this site, right? -1 rep for you for dissing my Chevy truck. Besides, my Chevy truck kicks ass. I'll post pictures soon.

But, this wasn't about my Chevy truck. This was about your lack of competence in getting your car fixed, wasn't it? :freak:

Nice try on derailing the spotlight from yourself onto me though, because I drive a Chevy truck, and not the allmighty Supra. :bigthumb: I have more $$ invested in my P.O.S. 1997 Chevy than a TT Supra costs these days (stock). I could afford a Supra, but that is not the point, I like to drive my big heavy slow custom truck.

The point is, you paid a lot of money for a "reliable, Toyota sports car", and never bothered to have the dealer fix an inherent problem, and you were the original owner. Doesn't sound like good monetary sense, now does it?

Now you want to spend time and/or money fixing a problem that was Toyotas to begin with, and may be a 1998 model year specific problem.

If I fixed every problem in my 1997 truck that GM ended up fixing later, I would have eaten a larger $$ hole in my wallet. Thank God for warranties.

So now, tell us, why didn't you have the dealer fix the Toyota Supra you bought from them brand new? This isn't the EVCC system on the turbos...it is a simple trunk mechanism.

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
Stealth021 said:
So now, tell us, why didn't you have the dealer fix the Toyota Supra you bought from them brand new? This isn't the EVCC system on the turbos...it is a simple trunk mechanism.
As he said, it is a minor inconvience. Most people don't use their trunk area enough to even notice the problem, I would honestly have to check to even see if this is a problem for me :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is a common problem with these cars and all the newer facelifts suffer from it..

IThe fix is to get the latch mechanism of a pre facelift car and swap it out... Toyota changed it and the new one does not work..

Its supposed to POP the trunk, but it does not quite make it :blah:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to direct Curt to this thread because what better person can help answer this question? :) Ok so we know that the latch mechanism is indeed an inherent problem in the 98's. TRD3000 what is a facelift? I searched but couldn't find any information on it. No big deal just a small headache but I'm not going to lie that when I find some free time later on I'm going to want to swap out the locking mechanism. I mean hell, there's a reason why we drive 98's right?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Yup, VINZE, like everyone has said so far........ I've had 3 98's in the last 2 years and all 3 had the SAME problem....
Peter

·
Ex Supra Owner
1,077 Posts
Boy do I love my 97' trunk latch :biggrin: , it works so well and OPENS all the way :bigthumb: haha, anyway Vince long time no talk. How do you like the new car except for the trunk latch?

Dan

G

·
lol now when a dealer tells you its a 98' and you can open the hatch, you know he's lying to you

anywho, Why is a Chevy owner on a supra forums? :stickpoke

1 - 20 of 50 Posts