Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got my 89+ spoiler in the mail today....happy as hell! well i was wondering, do any of you guys have a write up on this? how will it hold onto the car? i know i will have to drill holes, but how big? thanks guys.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
hey man...this doesnt have anything to do with your post...BUT..i went to ship your coilpack today and i couldnt find the envelope you sent you money to me in...so no address :(

wanna PM it to me and ill have it out tomorrow to ya...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I found an 89+ without the wing in the junk yard and made a copy of the body where the holes are. With paper. Then take that and put it on your car and mark the holes and drill. You have to be careful on the side pieces. There are oblong holes and snaps that the side pieces slide and snap into, and they have two screws in the side where the center piece is also. They have to be just about perfect. And the center piece is a matter of marking a drilling new holes and then getting beneath and tightening the nuts. You will also have to cut a couple of access holes in the bottom of the hatch for the outer center screws or you can't tighten the nuts. You'll see. It's not hard, but take your time and be exact, you don't get to do it twice on the body.

Also, do yourself a favor and go to the dealership and get a set of mounting hardware for the side pieces unless you already have it. Then find the 89 car and get that template down.

Also, don't forget your antenna from the 88 won't look right with your new wing. It will retract too far. GL.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
clifftrail said:
Also, don't forget your antenna from the 88 won't look right with your new wing. It will retract too far.
Agreed. That's how my 88 is. I didn't even know about it really until I was looking at a few other 89+ cars.

It doesn't look BAD, but it doesn't look good either. I will of course fix the problem on my car eventually. :p

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Agreed. That's how my 88 is. I didn't even know about it really until I was looking at a few other 89+ cars.

It doesn't look BAD, but it doesn't look good either. I will of course fix the problem on my car eventually. :p
Of course you will Jeff, of course you will.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The center piece is straight forward. The side pieces will require careful placement. Personally, I lined up the side peices where I wanted them, pushed hard onto the body to scratch the paint, then drilled. I also placed the side pieces higher on the body because I hate the huge gap Toyota left us:

Random '89+ car:

Mine:

It's hard to see, but the gap on mine is about 1/2 of a 1989+ car.

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
This is how I did it to a friend's 87 and it worked great:
(this is for the sides, the center section speaks for itself)

first I rounded up all the mounting hardware.
Next I took the passenger side on (thought it would be harder) and made tiny scratch marks from the little schlong looking tabs sticking out of it. I did the same for the screw on mounts by screwing them in fully to the side section of the wing with the mounting screw for bottom of them sticking out. I scratched a little area with that. I used a perm. marker to pinpoint the holes after that. I forget what size of bit I used for the dick ones, but it will make them slide in snugly if ya use a tiny bit smaller than they are (I used one from a dewalt kit)

for the other mounts, I tried at first replicating the square hole and using the stock mounts to do that. Impossible for the tools that I was using at the time. So after what was forever , I cut the bottoms off the mounts (the part that would protrude into the square hole) making the mount flat on the bottom. I marked where it was supposed to go, and I secured it to the car using self-drilling screws. it worked great. I finished the other side in about 10 minutes after the passenger side (which took 2 hours to figure out that little shortcut). the wing has been firmly attched to my friends car for about 5 months now and looks stock. Hit me up if you have any other questions.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I have no antenna or rear wiper. Will this install be really easy for me? Couldn't I just do like u guys are saying, find where I want it, press down hard, drill, insert, badabing Ihavea wing?! :freak:

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
I have no antenna or rear wiper. Will this install be really easy for me? Couldn't I just do like u guys are saying, find where I want it, press down hard, drill, insert, badabing Ihavea wing?! :freak:
The spoiler would still have a hole in it for the antenna though...

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
No... you use fibreglass or preferably urethane filler.

EDIT: With a thread like this, it needs more pics.

·
Registered
271 Posts
you need to be very cafeful when you're installing this, specially on the side pieces. if you screw it up its almost impossible to re-align if the bolt holes are off. mine came W/one not so nicely installed. ruined the whole rear deck, and the sides were misaligned and mounted W/the wrong hardware. its easier for me to just get another deck.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
My '86.5 Supra came with the one piece spoiler. I want to upgrade to the 3 piece spoiler, but I'm afraid the bolt patterns aren't the same on the hatch? Am I correct?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
S.O.A.D. said:
My '86.5 Supra came with the one piece spoiler. I want to upgrade to the 3 piece spoiler, but I'm afraid the bolt patterns aren't the same on the hatch? Am I correct?
They aren't even close.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts