Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 7mgte is at a friends shop getting rebuilt. when we pulled the cam gears off, the one on the intake side looked a little funny. So, you know how there are 3 holes on the gear itself? well the dowel pin on the shaft was in one of the holes on the side, not in the one in the middle of the cam gear. I thought it was always supposed to be in the center hole of the cam gear.

The TSRM doesn't say anything about it, other than to "make sure the cam gears are installed the same way they were removed." It shows a picture of the the cam gears, and the dowel pin is in fact in the center hole on both the intake and exhaust cam gear. My friend swears that when he took the gear off in the first place, the dowel pin was not in the hole in the center.

So... I am wondering how it is supposed to be installed. I guess there could be a reason for the dowel pin being in one of the side holes, but I wouldn't know. But also, my engine has been sitting in his shop for a while and there is a lot of traffic in and out of there, so it is possible that someone stopped by and was just messing around with it and didn't put it back together correctly.

I hope this isn't too confusing. I just want to make sure my engine is put back together correctly before I try to start it. Please only respond if you know by experience, I don't need any "I think's" or guesses coming from people trying to get their post count up.

Picture below

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
The extra holes will match up with additional holes in the cams, and will advance or retard the cam a few degrees to adjust for a head cut.
Could be the last guy into the engine had cut the head.
Could be he was just a dumb ass, and stuck it in the first hole he found.
(kind of like how all the girls get prettier at closing time, and you wake up with one that you wouldn't had stuck anything into if you were sober)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
747 Posts
The extra holes will match up with additional holes in the cams, and will advance or retard the cam a few degrees to adjust for a head cut.
I dont think this is true but it might be possible. I don't have any of these engines laying around but is says in the TSRM "Checking that the straight pin hole position is in the same position it was at disassembly." I read the whole chapter and it states nothing about changing holes to compensate for milling. Which leads me to believe that Toyota places the pins in different holes depending on their factory machining when built at the factory. Now if somebody can up with a formula to readjustment this I've never heard of it.
So OP put it in the hole it was found in.

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
The only way to be 100% sure is with a degree wheel, and dial indicator to see where the cam lobe ceters really are.
That is what I do every time I have built one of these in the past 18 years that I have driven 7M powered cars.
But because 99% of people don't have that equipment, and wouldn't know how to use it if they did,
and Toyota never published data on where they set the cam centers anyway........
Why bother ?

And, on top of that, I have never taken a single 7M apart that the pin wasn't in the center hole.

·
Registered
467 Posts
mine have little notches on the gears. its very tiny and mine are stock so I assume yours should have them. one notch on each gear for TDC. hope this helps.

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
The only way to be 100% sure is with a degree wheel, and dial indicator to see where the cam lobe ceters really are.
That is what I do every time I have built one of these in the past 18 years that I have driven 7M powered cars.
But because 99% of people don't have that equipment, and wouldn't know how to use it if they did,
and Toyota never published data on where they set the cam centers anyway........
Why bother ?
And, on top of that, I have never taken a single 7M apart that the pin wasn't in the center hole.
Simple man. cam seal.. put the pin in the center hole.. mount cam gear.. and do your timing...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cam Gear Install

I also ran into this dilemma while rebuilding my 7MGTE engine. The MK3 TSRM gives a hint regarding this in the Engine Mechanical - Timing Belt section (EM-29 Item 9.c. in my book)

The hint states:

"Align the center holes of the camshaft AND timing pulleys, as shown in the illustration and insert the straight pin."

"When reusing the camshaft or camshaft timing pulleys: Checking that the straight pin hole position is in the same the same position it was at disassembly, insert the straight pin."

See link below:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=29

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
262 Posts
its fuckin non interference what are you going to break ahahahaha

heres the deal. put it together were it came apart and if the notches in the gear dont line up put it in the other hole!!

its kinda like when you put it in her wrong hole. might piss her off but nothings gonna break lolololol

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,983 Posts
SPOOLN30;8393714[I said:
]I dont think this is true but it might be possible.[/I] I don't have any of these engines laying around but is says in the TSRM "Checking that the straight pin hole position is in the same position it was at disassembly." I read the whole chapter and it states nothing about changing holes to compensate for milling. Which leads me to believe that Toyota places the pins in different holes depending on their factory machining when built at the factory. Now if somebody can up with a formula to readjustment this I've never heard of it.
So OP put it in the hole it was found in.

Believe what sixpack says because it's true about the holes which will advance are retard a few degrees. Count the teeth and you will find the amount of degrees moved O.K.!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.