Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has a dyno of before and after with cam gears installed... i want to do it but need to check out the info from the guys that have done them.... thanx Kevin ... rwhp et and trap speed... helps... thanx again ps bpu plus vpc...

·
462 Posts
Check out www.boostaholic.com at the bottom of the page on the chronology of buildup of Andi's car. He got around 15 RWHP with gears.

Hey Andi, update your page soon! It's missing the T-64 plus fuel!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much should a set of cam gears cost to install into an auto TT

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
meggleto: If I read your dyno chart correctly, you picked up about 10hp on the second run, about 30 min after the baseline run - and about 20-25ft-pounds of torque at 3500. Not too shabby considering expected heat soak!

How is the idle quality affected?

Bob

·
Registered
904 Posts
KING said:
Cam gears with a basic BPU car will give you 10-15 rwhp. We did a few tests on the streets and the difference translates out very nicely. In two BPU 6 speed cars that were identical prior to one car receiving cam gears, the cam gear car pulled 2-3 car lengths and was still pulling from a 70 mph to 120 mph roll on race. Very conclusive as are the dyno numbers.

Mark Tozer
www.suprastore.com
Hey Mark, first I just wanted to thank you for that 3200 TC that I bought from Suprastore.com. It is a great product at a great price! Regarding the cam gear install, what degree were the cam gears set at ? What about auto TT's, what have you found to be the best setting for the cam gears ? Thanks Tony

·
Registered
82 Posts
meggleto: If I read your dyno chart correctly, you picked up about 10hp on the second run, about 30 min after the baseline run - and about 20-25ft-pounds of torque at 3500. Not too shabby considering expected heat soak!
Overall I peaked at 31.1ftlbs of torque gained at 3600RPM. 12.7ftlbs from the exhaust cam and 18.4ftlbs from the intake cam. Gain was over 20ftlbs from 3400RPM to 4100RPM. It made being in twin mode much easier to deal with when driving around town.

Heat soak is never much of an issue because I dyno with 104 Octane Race Fuel and only 18psi. 10Minutes with the fan on between runs is about all the car needs. It took 4 runs total to tune the gears and about 10minutes between each run.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I forgot........The idle was fine after the exhaust cam gear change. After the intake cam gear was changed the idle was slightly rougher. It doesn't idle like I have race cams or anything like that but it is a little rougher.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Meggleto,

What degree did you set the cam gears to?

Plus did you dynoed tune the cam gears ?

And how long does it take to install them?
Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What degree did you set the cam gears to?
Plus did you dynoed tune the cam gears ?

If you look at my first post you'll see the dyno chart is attached. At the bottom of the dyno chart are the settings for the intake and exhaust cam gears that I settled on while dyno tuning the cam gears. For example the baseline run was done with the exhaust cam gear at 0deg and the intake cam gear at 0deg.

Mine were installed with a timing belt change and took roughly 3.5hours but if you've done it before I'd estimate that you should be able to do it in like 90 to 120minutes.

·
462 Posts
Interesting,

I think most ppl recommend -4.5, +1 degrees. (exh/intake)

Do you have any dyno sheets of the tuning process. Meaning, as you increased the exhaust to -5 degrees and the intake to +3??

Thanks...it would be very interesting and usefull!!!!!!

I am having the gears installed at a base setting soon and need a baseline.

Later.

meggleto said:

If you look at my first post you'll see the dyno chart is attached. At the bottom of the dyno chart are the settings for the intake and exhaust cam gears that I settled on while dyno tuning the cam gears. For example the baseline run was done with the exhaust cam gear at 0deg and the intake cam gear at 0deg.

Mine were installed with a timing belt change and took roughly 3.5hours but if you've done it before I'd estimate that you should be able to do it in like 90 to 120minutes.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm, is there any diffrence in tuning the cam gears on a odb I or an odbII car? recommanded by mkiv.com/tech articles is -3/+1 degrees. now I read -4,5/+1. any comments on this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you have any dyno sheets of the tuning process. Meaning, as you increased the exhaust to -5 degrees and the intake to +3??
Using a little logic I reduced my dyno time. I did E0 I0 as a baseline. Then knowing the exhaust should be around -4 to -5deg I went to -4deg and dynoed. Then I went to -5deg and dynoed. The gain was almost exactly the same thus I knew the best spot would be -4.5 deg for E.

Then knowing that most people went to +1 for intake I assumed they went +1 dynoed and then when they went to +2 they saw equal gain or a reduction and quit. So I went straight to +3 and got 15rwtq in the middle rpm range. I assumed it was the sweet spot and then quit. Thus it took me 4 pulls. I attach the -4 vs -5dyno for you. The first and 4th pull are in the 1st chart I posted.

I had planned on using my dyno slot in two weeks to verify the +3 was best for the intake but my friend with his GTS bought a bunch of mods for our yearly trash talking dyno competition. So I have to prove out the intake system I cobbled up which allows the use of a 9in K&N cone filter for stock twins without a VPC. Going from 6in to 9in on my 400hp Talon netted 3mph and .2secs in the qtr mile so I figure I should gain a decent amount of hp with this on the Supra since it gets 400rwhp. The car feels faster but only the dyno will tell the truth. I remember someone else with a VPC went from a 6in to 9in and got 10rwhp so I'm hoping for something similar.

So the attached chart is all the info I have and I'll be testing out something else when I dyno next time so I won't be getting any more cam gear dyno data.

·
Registered
82 Posts
recommanded by mkiv.com/tech articles is -3/+1 degrees. now I read -4,5/+1. any comments on this?
Basically what this means is use the -4 and +1 if you haven't dynoed yet. Then since every car is different you should dyno and see what works best on your vehicle.

My dyno experience is a good example. The most I'd seen from the intake cam was 3rwhp and most people said don't even buy the intake cam gear because it wasn't worth the money. I'd never seen anyone post +3 so I tried it and found a huge gain (22rwtq at 3700rpm from intake cam gear only). My goal wasn't to tune for peak hp but to tune for low and midrange torque for autoxing so I was very happy.

Every car is different so use the -4, +1 as a baseline and then head to a dyno.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anybody know settings for NA

Would they be the same, or if not, what? Any difference in using UA or JUN? Any help appreciated. What gains? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts