Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks -

I've decided to milk a little more out of my current setup with some cams - I understand they push the power further up the RPM curve which is fine.

I'm running a T04R HKS single and am looking at cams that will be a good balance between additional power _and_ "streetability". I'm not really looking for brand opinions (I'll likely use HKS) but the intake/exhaust specs.

I know 272's are big power, but also pretty lopey from what I've been exposed to. I know HKS make a 264 as well as a smaller cam, like a 254?

I also have talked to a couple of tuners who do a "staggered" setup with a bigger exhaust cam.

Just wanted to get plenty of information before I make the purchase!

FYI, I'm going to be swapping out my Greddy Profec for a HKS EZ (the Greddy is peaking out on boost) - and see if I can get a couple of PSI more, plus the cams, and target the 650whp range.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey DT,

I met up with Angel yesterday at Rollo's dyno. I have a great group of friends with modded supras in the Tampa area. We all headed out there to tune two of the cars. A BPU car and a single turbo car w/o fuel.

Angel ended up tuning 5 cars in all. 3 BPU cars and two single cars. We all discussed the topic of singles, fuel systems and cams because I have about a dozen friends who are all going single within the next year.

Angel is using a split duration set up with 264/272 HKS cams.

We talked about this set up and he said after using the 272/272 set up on another car he would do that instead. He said he was able to get the car to idle smooth as glass and they really helped out with the top end power for a small sacrifice in spool.

Shoot me an email or give me a call sometime and let me know how things are going with your car.

-pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Pete!!

Hope things have been going well for you - My car has been running solid since Dwight at Speedcraft tuned it a few months ago - been to some shows, some even a few hours away and the car ran SOLID.

My next plans are to swap my profec-b for a hks ez - get the few extra lbs of boost out of the setup (the Greddy unit peaked like people have reported) and upgrade the cams. I'm kinda thinking about some kind of direct port setup too - just for kicks :D

I'm going to be at the Superstreet show/race/dyno competition in March - maybe you could come up for that?

Seeya -

DT

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am also switching to an HKS EZ. I ordered it a week ago and it should get in the next week or so. My profec B maxes out at 24 psi. My car has already run a 10.7 pass on ET streets at 24 psi so it should have quite a bit more power and better ET/traps left in it. I am planning on going to Desoto next saterday to try and break into the tens on my 275/40/17 BFG drag radails with my current setup.

Then it will be time for a stereo install. :)

I may head up to daytona for the spring break nationals. I am still trying to decide between that and Texas. Spring break nationals would be a lot easier to get to and it has car show and sthe largest stereo show in the nation.

I need to talk to some of my other friends and see which event they want to go to.

-pete

·
Registered
763 Posts
VETKILR said:
Hey Magic...don't forget about the hunnies that will be there. Daytona during Spring Break can be very pleasurable!
How could I forget the hunnies!!! ;)

I think I am going to push for Daytona since it will be a lot easier to swing for most people.

I will let you know if I go to Daytona and if you are going we can all hookup.

-pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Texas(2K2) would be very cool, but just too damn far - suddenly it becomes a weeks worth of time for just the few day event.

This event should be pretty big (in Daytona) - especially with the magazine sponsor - weather should be awesome too! It's always real nice in March.

Definitely stay coordinated and we can all hook up - I'm going to see who else local is going - maybe Steve Hayes? I'm sure Dave and some of the Speedcraft peeps will go.

Seeya -

DT

W

·
0 Posts
I recommend 264/264 for your setup. The 272s are really too much cam - you won't make anymore peak power and it will be a peakier curve with more lag. I don't think 272s are called for until you are T88 size or larger. IMHO.

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
Walser said:
I recommend 264/264 for your setup. The 272s are really too much cam - you won't make anymore peak power and it will be a peakier curve with more lag. I don't think 272s are called for until you are T88 size or larger. IMHO.
Hey Darren. How long did it take for you to switch out your housings? I was going to put my .73s on when I have my 264s put in. Wondering how many hours.

Thanks

Scott

Peace

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback from everyone!

I called my boys here in town and told them to get me a set of HKS 264's! I'm also going to pull the Profec-b since I believe I had peaked its upper boost levels - going to switch to a HKS EZ.

Hopefully with a little extra boost and the cams I'll be solid in the 650WHP range.

Seeya -

DT

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
DT - trust me, the drive for TX2K2 will be worth your while. You want magazine coverage? OK, how does Turbo Mag. sound? They will be at TX2K2 covering the event.
Peter

·
Got Juice?
468 Posts
DT,

Dwight (SpeedCraft) and Dave are heading out to TX2K2. It even looks like they might be sharing a room with me. I had lunch with Dwight today to verify if he was actually going. He might even head out to Gainsville this Saturday to that meet.

Pete you have the right idea bro. Its really tempting to go to Daytona but I know for a fact I'd get into trouble.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pete - I'm sure it's going to be awesome - you have really put in a significant amount of time and effort to do it right! I'm gonna keep the possibility open.

Vklr - I might cruise down to Gville and check it out - if I do, I'll drop you a line via email -

DT

G

·
0 Posts
Nice Sig!!!!!:D

Scott In Vegas said:

Hey Darren. How long did it take for you to switch out your housings? I was going to put my .73s on when I have my 264s put in. Wondering how many hours.

Thanks

Scott

Peace

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Danny,

FYI, several of us are planning to meet at the Avenues Mall to depart at 9:45 for Gainesville.

BTW, my car reached full boost earlier with the 264 cams and the HKS EVC EZ than it did on the stock cams and the PRofec B. I know that doesn't make sense, but I did careful testing and that's what was happening. <shrug> Maybe you won't even lose anything spool wise by making the cams and boost controller swap. I loved the PRofec B on the stock twins, but it didn't work well at all with the single.

Steve - with 264 cams

DT said:
Pete - I'm sure it's going to be awesome - you have really put in a significant amount of time and effort to do it right! I'm gonna keep the possibility open.

Vklr - I might cruise down to Gville and check it out - if I do, I'll drop you a line via email -

DT

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve!

Thanks for the info - BTW, congrats on the new numbers - looks like the new turbo is working out great!

Did you consider a "fancier" EBC like an Apex or even the new Blitz? I think the common concensus is they just add complexity, bells&whistles, but no real value - I _do_ like the Apex's ability to control boost based on gear or rpm - seems like that would prevent the lower gears from blowing the rear out.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about Gainesville - if I go, I will definitely hook up with you guys!

DT

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Danny,
I knew that the EVC EZ did a good job as a straight-forward boost controller, so I went with that one. I didn't personally know of anyone with relevant experience with the Apex or Blitz on a big single, so I didn't want to be a gueina pig with those. I've heard from several people who were unable to get the Apex unit working to their satisfaction, but I don't know if it was due to install mistakes, or what. Boost control by gear would be very useful though, if it actually works. Does the Apex controller actually work (controlling boost according to gear)?

Vetkilr,
I think everyone is meeting in the mall parking lot at the corner of Philips and Southside.

Steve

·
Got Juice?
468 Posts
Steve,

I've got the SBC-ID and Power Meter ID installed on my car. I'll be at the avenues so that might be a good time for you to check out my setup. It was either the APEX AVCR or the SBC-ID and the reason why I chose the SBC-ID is that people had problems with the APEX. You know I'm not mechanically inclined so I needed something that was maintance free. See you soon...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts