Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking off my front covers and cam gears i noticed oil behind the gears and down my head and block. Is that coming from the cam seals? The reason i ask is just because I didn't know if thats what they were called but have read of leaky cam seals. Also the oil thats slowly dripping from underneith my covers is from leaky cam cover gaskets?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
sounds like it to me. I imagine the cam seal being a pain to replace.

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, just wanted to make sure thats what they were called. right behind the gears i can see oil and it was running down the front of the motor. I can also see oil around the covers so i'll just get both.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think the cams have to come out to replace that seal if i am not mistaken. Toss some 264's in if you have to do all that work.:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just replaced the cam seals on my TT and they were a sinch.....pry out the old ones by throwing a pick with a 90 degree bend and pull them out. They are a slight press fit in but if you give it some pressure with your fingers they will slide all the way in until they seat. It was not tough at all. I even have a driver for the seal but it didnt move any farther in then pushing it in with my fingers....very easy. Just make sure to coat the inside of the seal with some grease before putting it on. Make sure the outside edge is clean of all oil reisude as this is what seals to the metal.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
spooldup said:
I think the cams have to come out to replace that seal if i am not mistaken. Toss some 264's in if you have to do all that work.:D
hey im going to be doing my valve seals within a week or 2...i was thinkin about camns myself since they need to come out anyway...i am just bpu 6 spd right now..i plan on staying with stock twins for a while...what cams would be good and do many people really see any good gains with cams..and which ones....then again since im gonna be with my stock tweins for a while maybe the stock cams are good enough....any info would be nice..and what can i expect to pay....any info would be nice because if i am going to do it easy here is my chance sin ce i will be in there...

thanx
ant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts