Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was hoping to hear what your guy's experiences with a failing or failed cam sensor. I tried search but no luck. So I guess this thread would be benefit.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opp I guess I didn't ask the right question. I was more instrested in the symptoms of a failing or failed cam sensor.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
From what I understand if one fails the stock ecu uses the other for backup and the car will continue to run. On the AEM though it only uses the front sensor so if that fails the car won't run at all.

Mike

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, I know know when it come to electrical, its really a PITA. When the cam sensors fail, do they fail completely, where the car running aem won't start, or does it cause some interuptions like mis fire or hesitiation until the car won't start.

Thanks for your responses. When I tried searching on cam sensors, the results mostly show problems with the crank sensor and the timing sprocket.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
A car running AEM will most likely run if it's getting some kind of signal. I had a problem with my sensor and the car ran but with retarded timing. You can check to see if your getting a sync error or timing error by clicking the ambulance icon in AEM pro and try to start the car. It will show if your getting the error by entering the the number of sync/timing errors.

If your on AEM and think it's the sensor just swap out the rear to the front and try it then.

Mike

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will definately try that Mike. My problem is a bit strange. When boost comes on I get a very bad mis, actually feels like fuel cut, very harsh. And If I continue to push the car to follow through, my car shuts off and i won't be able to start it. The reason the car doesn't start is because of the crank sensor. I know this because with the crank sensor disconnected when the car is trying to turn on, the rpm needles doesn't jump at all. I have disconnected each sensor that deals with the ignition system to confirm this. It seems like when I'm pushing the car, something that deals with the crank sensor tells it something, not sure if it could the aem or some other part of the ignition system.

I ask about the cam sensor because it's the only sensor I haven't switched out. So Far, I have switched out a couple crank sensors, spark plugs, coil packs, resistor, and igniter. Checked, coil connectors. I even checked the timing sprocket to make sure none of the fins are damaged or spun itself. Only thing left I can think of is the cam sensor and checking the gaps on the spark plug. I feel that the possible issue with the spark plugs is a little issue since it doesn't have any reason to shut my car off. So far I have been stranded on the freeway 4 times. 2 of the last times, I had my tools with me and pulled the crank sensor out. I wait for about 15 - 20 mins. put everything back together and the car started. A ver strange problem. Hopefully I fix it soon. Too much down time really sucks. Thanks Mike.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
hard miss could be a extremely lean situation

·
Texas Roadhouse FTW !
827 Posts
Sorry Im bringing this back from the dead. But I'm having the same exact symptoms as you were sureshot1 so was wondering if you figure out what the problem was ? I tried to PM you but your box was full

1 - 13 of 13 Posts