Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive told that it doesnt matter where the cam notch is positioned to the left or right of the align mark, also I know that any changes in exhaust timing will cause changes in ignition timing. this doesnt affect any changes in the intake camshaft.

was thinking if I push back the exhaust camshaft a notch to the left of the align mark because right now it is to the right beccause the closer you bring the piston to the valves (less clearance) = advance the timing

also my friend said that a slack in timing belt will cause erractic valves ( bouncing timing mark). what does that mean? my timing belt is on tight but the only difference in that is the crank is set at TDC but the way the timing belt sits on the cam gear causes the cam notch to be pushed to the right of align mark (you only have a option to set it either left or right because the align mark is exactly on the tooth of the cam gear itself.

does that mean I need adjustable cam gear to solve this problem?

reason of the question is that the car revs alot better when the CPS is way past the limit (remove the bolt and turn it all the way maximum and it goes over the hole where you cannot bolt it down)

i tried to move the cps one tooth advance bec of that. nope.. it was worse. so i put it back to where it supposed to be (notch on CPS gear align with TDC)

anyone experienced that before? or know what I am talking about can at least give a little help to get my car on the road again.

:1poke:

·
SMFL
223 Posts
ive told that it doesnt matter where the cam notch is positioned to the left or right of the align mark,
Jump it one tooth and see if that person that told you that was correct. There is a small amount of slack in the belt that adjustable gears can take up. Those are very small amounts though.
also I know that any changes in exhaust timing will cause changes in ignition timing. this doesnt affect any changes in the intake camshaft.
The CPS is driven off the exhaust, correct. You can have correct time on one sprocket and not the other, that is correct. If the belt tension is set up correctly.

reason of the question is that the car revs alot better when the CPS is way past the limit (remove the bolt and turn it all the way maximum and it goes over the hole where you cannot bolt it down)
Your engine timing is probably off. Even if the CPS is installed correctly to the head, the ignition timing will be wrong if the exhaust cam is out of time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It almost sounds like one of your cams is either advanced or retarded 5 degrees. Remove the bolts and washers that hold the gears to the cam and check that the dowel pins is in the center hole on each cam.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
that and your timing belt might be stretched if you can't get it to align

I just did mine recently and it lined up perfectly, how many miles do you have on your belt?

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It almost sounds like one of your cams is either advanced or retarded 5 degrees. Remove the bolts and washers that hold the gears to the cam and check that the dowel pins is in the center hole on each cam.
dude, both cams have dowel pins in middle and is aligned in the middle hole.

that and your timing belt might be stretched if you can't get it to align
dude, the timing belt is NEW, head has been shaved so much that deck height has dropped which caused the align mark not lining up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts