Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the line on the harmonic balancer should point to 0 when cam gear marks are lined up? I was certain I lined up the dot on the crank pulley with the mark on the oil pump but after reading somewhere the harmonic mark should match too its made me paranoid that I've done it wrong. Engines also a 1.5jz but I'd assume the harmonic balancers would all be the same?
IMG_20200208_123544.jpg
IMG_20200208_123601.jpg

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,063 Posts
is that the only mark on the crank pulley ?

I had a similar issue but for some reason there was more than one notch on my crank pulley. with the crank at TDC (verified piston at the top of its stroke on compression) I had a notch that DID line up correctly with the cam gears at 12 o’clock

i dunno....

·
Boost Junkie
12,428 Posts
Double check your crank pulley. The cams and crank need to be lined up.

Steve

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
There might be a yellow and white mark. I can't tell what that one is but you need to line up the white mark. You could also verify by checking the piston position.
Did you pull the tensioner pin while the marks were lined up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Righto so I've pulled it a part and originally I lined up the first dot as pictured, but I managed to make out another line a little further round, inline with the keyway (2nd picture) reading the manual online I found the slash is to line up with the oil pump and the outer dot is to actually match marks on the OE timing belt rather than line up, although reading through a bunch of forums with peoples cars not starting etc people are saying it is the dot which seems like misinformation and probably why they are having troubles. Just sharing the info I've found in case someone stumbles upon the same problem

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
glad you figured it out. usually on all toyotas the dot is lined up with the yellow marks on the timing belt. the key should be straight up (or very close) for TDC.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,232 Posts
Have you ran this motor yet? Reason I ask is because that’s a vvti crank trigger wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts