Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've got a BPU++ car: new exhaust and intake, hks vpc (MAP sensor), s-afc2, bcc, adjustable cam gears, lwfw, 3-row fmic and rps pressure plate.

I'm now at 429whp at about 1.2bar boost. The car is easy to use as a daily driver and I'd like it to remain that way ;)

I can't go single but I was thinking about other ways of increasing the power output. Can I get any good results by changing to a bit more agressive cams, maybe?

Any other suggestions (other than modifying the stock turbos)?

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
We are in the same ballpark. Basically the same mods. My car put down 425rwhp with the stock clutch and flywheel and no s-afc. So I'm hoping once I swap that out and go with a LWFW and get the s-afc installed and have some tuning done I'll be over 430. But I've been doing some serious re-search into going single. Everything I've heard is that cams won't help you much with the stock twins. But it's huge on a single. Other things I though about doing if I stayed with the stock twins was going with a little nitrous like a 50 or 75 shot or the intercooler kit I've also heard lets you pick up some decent power.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yea...I've wondered the same thing. Is there a profile that might be suited to the stock twins? Something other than the 264 or 272 the singles guys like? If that's the case, not too many people have it. I also have no interest in going to single for the time being. I'm BPU+ like you guys...but am making 400RWHP (on an auto). , and I daily drive too.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I used to run HKS 272's with upgraded stock looking twins. The stockers seam to run out of steam on the big end (past 6k rpms) and it kind of defeats the purpose of getting cams on stock turbo's. The stock cams seam to be great for the stock powerband. With a large turbo it is definately an advantage. If I were to put upgraded cams back on maybe HKS 264's seam to be the ticket.

Lawrence

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Conventional wisdom is that you attack the major shortcoming; once you have maxed out the plusses on the BPU, the turbos are your greatest air restriction; best to deal with that part of the equation first.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yea..the turbos are a shortcoming. But neither of us wants to ditch them while they are still working. Going single can be a pretty big $$$, especially if you want to do it right, so that means fuel and EMS....while doing cams only is still reasonable for us.

I'm an auto engineer..and I just can't believe that a cam wouldn't also help those on stock twins. Like I said..I doubt it will be a 264 or 272..but certainly a cam could be had to help out the stock twins??

I see HKS also make a 256 cam. Anyone here try it?

·
Highway Demon
2,877 Posts
i thought there was a 256 duration cam.. although if you have larger goals for the future i'd just go 264

2202-RT081 TOYOTA Supra 1993-1998 Turbo Intake 2JZGTE 256 duration 8.7mm lift $520.00
2202-RT082 TOYOTA Supra 1993-1998 Turbo Exhaust 2JZGTE 256 duration 8.7mmlift $520.00

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
^^^^ Yep..you're right. I see on the web some people are using a 256/264 combo...

·
Registered
707 Posts
You will see HP gains with an upgraded ext cam since the ext side of the oem head flow sucks. It will improve your tq more than hp but both will go up. I'd go with just a 264 ext which will work for stock turbos and singles up to 74 mm. Yes they make 256 cams. I run JUN 256/264 and am very happy with no need to go larger.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Now that's interesting. Mid-range torgue would also be very welcome, not only a few more peak hp (I should also try putting in the e-ttc mod for this).

Does anybody have any info on how big difference the 264 ext cam approximately makes? All before/after experiences/dynos with any cam changes w/ stock turbos would be very welcome! I'd also like to know if the changes have affected other features of the engine (eg. idling, gas mileage) ;)

I'd probably buy a set of 264's and put them in unless 264 intake would actually make things worse? This is because I'll probably get a singled engine sooner or later and don't want to buy another set of cams then ;)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You will see HP gains with an upgraded ext cam since the ext side of the oem head flow sucks. It will improve your tq more than hp but both will go up. I'd go with just a 264 ext which will work for stock turbos and singles up to 74 mm. Yes they make 256 cams. I run JUN 256/264 and am very happy with no need to go larger.
Is this on stock twins??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts