Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new with supras ill iv ever messed with is hondas
and i heard you cant change the exhaust camshaft
in the 2jz-ge so is this true? if so why is this?

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
InlineFanatic said:
so would changing the intake cam help any?
not unless youre running higher horsepower numbers. ive heard you can change the exhaust camshaft if you completely illiminate the distributer setup, but im not entirely sure. makes sense though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im looking into this at the moment.
Im planing to extract about 300hp from the NA, I dont want a turbo.
I haven't yet found anywhere that will do the NA exhaust billet.

Im probably going to have to ditch the dizzy and go for a CoP setup, but that means aftermarket ECU and the $$ associated with it (MSII for me).

If ANYONE has any experience with the changing of cams in a NA 2j please let me know.

Cheers, Tim

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
High PSI said:
Oh God, here we go again. :rofl:

Just kidding.
Werd ^

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does this mean too many wanabe losers have said this before or is it because people have tried and failed.

I dont see the problem with 100hp per litre, its already got 73hp per litre now.

The engine isnt in a MkIV either, its a MkII.

Please enlighten me :)

·
Torturing a W58...
260 Posts
I think everyone is in agreement that it's possible and has been done, but it just doesn't make any sense logistically. The 2J was engineered to be turbo'd. Even at 300hp, it's cheaper and easier to just boost the car. The end product will also be arguably more drivable and reliable.

The only real reason to do this is if you want to be different. If that's the case, I say save youself some money, drop a SBC V8 in, and call it a day. :ugh2:

The "here we go again" response was becuase if you do a search you'll find lots of people asking how they can get 300whp out of their NA 2J. Nine times out of ten it's a newb who wants the power but doesn't have the funds or mechanical ability to turbo the car...and if you don't have the cash or know-how to turbo it, you don't have the cash or know-how to make 300whp NA.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
High PSI said:
I think everyone is in agreement that it's possible and has been done, but it just doesn't make any sense logistically. The 2J was engineered to be turbo'd. Even at 300hp, it's cheaper and easier to just boost the car. The end product will also be arguably more drivable and reliable.

The only real reason to do this is if you want to be different. If that's the case, I say save youself some money, drop a SBC V8 in, and call it a day. :ugh2:

The "here we go again" response was becuase if you do a search you'll find lots of people asking how they can get 300whp out of their NA 2J. Nine times out of ten it's a newb who wants the power but doesn't have the funds or mechanical ability to turbo the car...and if you don't have the cash or know-how to turbo it, you don't have the cash or know-how to make 300whp NA.
Yessssss, and to add to what was said to above. I have seen threads talk about high compression and multiple throttle body or mult carb setups, but all of this comes at an expense that alot of people dont think is worth it for such little gain. Because people expect 500+ hp out of these 3 liters and when they dont see it they get upset. The MKIV is a relatively heavy car and it takes alot of power to make it go Zoom Zoom. I dont know how heavy the MKII's are so you may be better off than a MKIV. To each his own, and I for one am a true auto enthusiast so I would still love to see someone achieve thier goal and see a cool project come out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fair enough I spose.
The MkII is alot lighter than the MkIV. The reason I dont want a turbo is because
a) I dont want to exceed 300hp as the entire drive train wont like it and Im simply not wanting to have to strengthen it.

b) I use the car for hilclimbs, track days etc and I don't want to move into that category, the budjets are just way over the top, I wouldn't stand a chance. Under 3000cc NA is fine with me :)

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
300 hp on NA supra = NOT WORTH IT!!! go back while you still can!!!!!!!! trust me... i went down that route, and i regret it every second of every day

·
Torturing a W58...
260 Posts
Xaero said:
300 hp on NA supra = NOT WORTH IT!!! go back while you still can!!!!!!!! trust me... i went down that route, and i regret it every second of every day
I think that with an MKII, and for the above reasons he stated, it makes sense. I'm actually in a similar situation with my thirdgen 305 Camaro. Everyone says that putting any money into a 305 is worthless when you can swap in a 350 and have a much larger aftermarket and get more power per mod. However, the car is primarilly used as my Auto-x car, and I'm keeping it a fairly stock 305 becuase I'm trying to stay in F-stock. If I swap in a 350, I'm then in street-mod, and I'd have to do WAY more than just "swap in a 350" to be competitive.

Good luck, and keep us updated, I'd love to see the progress and the final result.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts