Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of changing my headgasket, im going to use MHG and ARP studs, i notice that the camshafts look a little burned and rusty. Can i use these camshafts are do i need new ones, i know the valve seals are gone, but valves looks good they close with no gaps.

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
it is impossible to see the seats well enough without taking it apart, are you going to replace the seals? Then you're going to be able to take the valves out and inspect them. I wouldn't mess with them if they are not pitted or burned, you could hand lap them if they are in good shape.
as for the rust it's probably just surface rust. i'd get some oil on them quick and try to clean them up with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper
you should check it all to see if it's in spec

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
when i disassemble the head, i will measure and inspect them, hand lap are you talking about the valves?
yes, to freshen up the seats. Of course you will clean them up real good, inspect and if there is excessive wear you'll probably want to take it to a shop....... make sure to keep all the valves, springs, and keepers in the same order and place as they came out

Good general rule, everything goes back in as it came out.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.