Supra Forums banner

501 - 515 of 515 Posts

·
2JZA70
2,537 Posts
Yes, the S1's are interference. Need the billet T-belt pulley bracket if you don't already. Also need to check valve to piston clearance because of the lift.

Al
They may be interference with some of the higher compression Pistons but they are not when used in a stock block.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hmm just heard the GSC are discontinued until the release of there new billet version. Anyone have them FS still? Also, for sure the S1s are now interference? 264's are not I know.
Victor at IP mentioned these are expected for a March Release.. Is it me or does it appear the S1's kick the shit out of the S2's for 98% of the cars on this board?
I would love to see the HKS 264's which I have currently and previously had on my Lexus.. Compared to the S1's, the 272 as we all knew for years was not a great cam option as it lost power pretty much everywhere in comparison to the 264's.. After years of debate and plenty of dyno's, the 264's were regarded as the sweet spot for the majority. They are relatively quiet at idle well, kept the motor non interference, HKS quality top notch, and are priced fairly

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
They may be interference with some of the higher compression Pistons but they are not when used in a stock block.
How did you verify this?

I had even HKS 264's cause a couple of my 1mm oversized valves to make contact with the CP 8.5 CR pistons when I was tightening the cam caps, and didn't keep the crank in phase (live and learn!:rolleyes:). In my case, the 1mm valves contributed to the valve to piston contact.

The S1's have almost a full 1mm more lift. But you're saying they won't touch? I doubt they shave that much off a head for a standard rebuild to make that big a difference over a bone stock motor.

Either way, the billet bracket is a good idea.

Al

·
NY56637
1,814 Posts
I'm on pump gas, single Garrett 67mm, piggyback and have always eye'd the GSC1's. Seems like the best for a fun, reliable street car that idols great. Is there any real DOWNSIDE to me throwing on some GSC1's?

Might just hang up switching my wheels and doing this for now.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Yes, the S1's are interference. Need the billet T-belt pulley bracket if you don't already. Also need to check valve to piston clearance because of the lift.

Al
^^ This..

I'm on pump gas, single Garrett 67mm, piggyback and have always eye'd the GSC1's. Seems like the best for a fun, reliable street car that idols great. Is there any real DOWNSIDE to me throwing on some GSC1's?

Might just hang up switching my wheels and doing this for now.
No real downside (besides spending a bit $$), but just get a billet t bracket for safety and do the normal replace vale steam seals, t belt, etc..

·
2JZA70
2,537 Posts
How did you verify this?

I had even HKS 264's cause a couple of my 1mm oversized valves to make contact with the CP 8.5 CR pistons when I was tightening the cam caps, and didn't keep the crank in phase (live and learn!:rolleyes:). In my case, the 1mm valves contributed to the valve to piston contact.

The S1's have almost a full 1mm more lift. But you're saying they won't touch? I doubt they shave that much off a head for a standard rebuild to make that big a difference over a bone stock motor.

Either way, the billet bracket is a good idea.

Al
We put #1 at TDC and spun each cam around to make sure there was no contact. I actually lost a case of beer over this as I had bet that they were interference, haha.

·
GE with boltons ;)
894 Posts
We put #1 at TDC and spun each cam around to make sure there was no contact. I actually lost a case of beer over this as I had bet that they were interference, haha.
I like your logic, in for next case lol :beer:

·
Registered
122 Posts
LOL, good write up! I laugh because I keep hearing about interference, yes it will and no it wont... I have been eyeing the GSC S2 Billets for the last few months... I want the capability of 1000whp and the lope...

Right now in my build: Stock Crank, BC Rods, JE Pistons, HKS 264 cams, Stock Valves, BC Valve Springs and Retainers...

Never thought about cam interference, most write-ups I've read says it a standard simple cam swap...

Does anyone think I will have interference issues with GSC S2's??? I would hate to buy these cams and then turn around an pull the head again...

Thanks for you thoughts,
NJ

·
Registered
90 Posts
LOL, good write up! I laugh because I keep hearing about interference, yes it will and no it wont... I have been eyeing the GSC S2 Billets for the last few months... I want the capability of 1000whp and the lope...

Right now in my build: Stock Crank, BC Rods, JE Pistons, HKS 264 cams, Stock Valves, BC Valve Springs and Retainers...

Never thought about cam interference, most write-ups I've read says it a standard simple cam swap...

Does anyone think I will have interference issues with GSC S2's??? I would hate to buy these cams and then turn around an pull the head again...

Thanks for you thoughts,
NJ
I just had a head done at headgames and it had to be clearance for a set of billet s2's, Dave said he didn't have to clearance the last one he did. So it sounds like some castings need it and some don't.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just had a head done at headgames and it had to be clearance for a set of billet s2's, Dave said he didn't have to clearance the last one he did. So it sounds like some castings need it and some don't.
Sounds like I should go with the BC 272 cams. being the lift is only 9.52/9.65mm... I read some where that they where non interference.... Save the GSC's S2/S3 for when I build my next motor...

Thanks

501 - 515 of 515 Posts