Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i have a question... can the 2jz BLOCK be destroyed by too much power on boost alone?? i know this sounds dumb, but serious question.... from what it looks, the 2jz block can handle upwards of 1400-1600hp at the max, which is about the maximum boost it seems that can possibly be put through the motor. any more power would need be assisted with nitrous i would think, seeing that there is only SO much air and pressure a turbo/s can push into the motor. but this isnt enough it seems to blow the block. i dont mean breaking by somehting like a dropped valve, leaning out, etc, i mean PURE hp destroying the block. the 302 ford motor will destroy themselves under POWER alone (not quality of buildup, etc) at like 550hp due to block design and a weak valley structure that causes them to split in half.

it would seem that the 2jz is indestructable in the sense that it just physically cant create enough flow to max out the potential of the block on boost alone, would that be a fair statement to make???

please read the whole thing as i have some rational argument to what seems like a blatently stupid question

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
its not a stupid question at all. In fact it is one I can only remember being discussed once, to which there was no deffinate answer.

Obviously the block is strong as hell. Not once have I heard of someone with a damaged block unless a thrown rod was involved (which doesnt count per your criteria, and isnt common with a good build anyway).

Gut instinct says that you are correct. Unless of course you want to get into compound turbocharging, in which case power might still be limited short of block death due to detonation.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Obviously the block is strong as hell. Not once have I heard of someone with a damaged block unless a thrown rod was involved.
Its happened. People building 1200-1300hp whp+ setups aren't filling their blocks just for fun... ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Any way you look at it though, cylinder pressure is more an issue than the boost pressure. I would assume if any pressure will destroy the block, it would be that, and i dont think its gonna happen. I think the next thing is make the head better/bigger if at all possible, and wring even MORE power out of the damn things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts