Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having trouble disengaging the clutch on my Supra. Above 2000 rpm while driving it is almost impossible to get it out of gear and put it in the next. Also with the car stopped when I have it in first gear and the clutch pushed all the way in the car will roll forward if I rev it to 5000 rpm or so. There is no slipping what so ever, just not completely disengaging.

I've bleed the system three times and double checked the clutch is installed correctly. I also have the adjusting rod screwed all the way out. The clutch system is fairly simple so there is only a couple things I think it could be. The pressure plate is bad or the slave cylinder. If you look under the car while pressing the clutch the slave cylinder does extend. Is it possible it is just not extending enough? There are no signs of leaking in the hydraulic system. Could the slave cylinder just be bad without leaking? Or is the pressure plate more likely the culprit?

I have a RPS pressure plate with about 5K miles on it and a new HPF disk on it with the stock flywheel. I had these problems before I changed the clutch. Should have changed the pressure plate while I had the tranny out but it looked fine.

Thanks.

·
NGAPINO
257 Posts
Yes it can go bad. I have had the runner boot on mine rip twice it caused the rod to get out of alignment. Toyota makes a rebuild kit for it its like $9.

S

·
0 Posts
Rico has a good point. It sounds like you know your car pretty well. Let me ask you when did this start to happen. Was it all of a sudden? Or was it after the RPS pressure plate?

The reason I ask is to say it is possible the fork is not positioned properly but is still somewhat functional in its location and has enough pressure on it not to pop out. If your adjusting rod is all the way out then you have more than enough travel through the master cylinder to fully disengage the clutch.

Good luck....

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,513 Posts
the slave cylinder definetly could go bad. mine did... i bought a brand new one from toyota, less than 3 months later, the clutch pedal went to the floor! the fluid had leaked out because i think a crack in the boot (of the slave cylinder?).
if i were you, i'd replace the slave and master cylinder (both will cost probably $250 total from curt a. or jeff w.)
check the fork to make sure it's positioned right as stated above (those damn forks can get loose sometime easily).

while you're up there with the tranny out, i'd make sure the pressure plate bolts are tight too. NOT TOO tight (becareful i've stripped one of them), tighten it with a small hand wrench :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I changed the slave cylinder... no difference.
I then changed the pressure plate... big difference.
Shifts very smooth now.

The old pressure plate looked identical to the new one to me when they were sitting side by side. I guess you can't tell if one is bad just by looking at it. Well at least now I know the symptoms of a bad pressure plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts