Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool: whats up guys, havent lurked in a while. i was debating between a supra and c5 z06. Got a good deal on a c5 z06 so i've had her for the past few months. Definitely fun, definitely a blast, but i know in a year or so i'll be bored and want something else. I was wondering if a single turbo, lets say.. roughly 600 whp supra would be fine as a one car, daily driver. opinions? TIA

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
S4FishtoSupraFish said:
:cool: whats up guys, havent lurked in a while. i was debating between a supra and c5 z06. Got a good deal on a c5 z06 so i've had her for the past few months. Definitely fun, definitely a blast, but i know in a year or so i'll be bored and want something else. I was wondering if a single turbo, lets say.. roughly 600 whp supra would be fine as a one car, daily driver. opinions? TIA

Of course. When you're not on boost the car feels completely stock depending on what clutch you go with. 600whp on race gas and 500rwhp on pump gas is completely doable with a 61mm turbo and AEM.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
brad beat me to it, i was going to say the same thing...62-1 or GT40R turbo would do nicely

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Many people will give various opinions on the subject. In previous threads I've heard a few people complain about the 'picky' nature of a modified supra (or any car for that matter). Truth is, you have to know a fair amount about your supra to keep it a daily driver at ~600 hp. Supras running the stock ECU and MAF are going to be limited to ~450 hp (lots of variance though). Any more than that and you're looking at piggyback computers or stand alone ECU's. Depending on who does the tuning of the car, some will start and run about as well as the factory car. And others will flood, idle strange at high or low temperatures.....list goes on and on.

A fair amount of Supra owners actually go for the Z06 or Viper just because they like the instant torque of the large displacement engines. But most of them also miss the incredible top end of the Supra though.

The Supra is a very well built car. Mine's got ~95k miles on it, and still rides great with no extra squeeks or rattles. Clutch isn't super heavy. But finding low miles (under 50k) Supras is getting harder and harder, and the price usually reflects it.

Say...have you checked out the "for sale" forum yet? Steve Theodore has a gorgeous small-single Alpine Hardtop supra that he's considering trading on a Z06. He's only ~1200 miles north of you :eek:)

Also, based on your user name, are you looking at S4's as well? At one point I strongly considered a bi-turbo S4 (I have an Audi background), but ultimitely went for the Supra.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
Its fine, just don't be stupid with it. I work with three guys that have c5's and one that has a c6 none are zo6...I will smoke all of them and my car has 113k on the clock...I could see a supra owner going for a c6 zo6, but not a c5 IMO...comparing a single supra to a c5 is like comparing a v6 mustang to a cobra...its just not the same class...apples to apples would probable be a BPU car to c5 IMO...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
braddman said:
My car has an AEM and it starts and runs better than when it was Toyota.
who tuned your AEM, braddman?

·
Registered
538 Posts
cord4530 said:
Many people will give various opinions on the subject. In previous threads I've heard a few people complain about the 'picky' nature of a modified supra (or any car for that matter). Truth is, you have to know a fair amount about your supra to keep it a daily driver at ~600 hp. Supras running the stock ECU and MAF are going to be limited to ~450 hp (lots of variance though). Any more than that and you're looking at piggyback computers or stand alone ECU's. Depending on who does the tuning of the car, some will start and run about as well as the factory car. And others will flood, idle strange at high or low temperatures.....list goes on and on.

A fair amount of Supra owners actually go for the Z06 or Viper just because they like the instant torque of the large displacement engines. But most of them also miss the incredible top end of the Supra though.

The Supra is a very well built car. Mine's got ~95k miles on it, and still rides great with no extra squeeks or rattles. Clutch isn't super heavy. But finding low miles (under 50k) Supras is getting harder and harder, and the price usually reflects it.

Say...have you checked out the "for sale" forum yet? Steve Theodore has a gorgeous small-single Alpine Hardtop supra that he's considering trading on a Z06. He's only ~1200 miles north of you :eek:)

Also, based on your user name, are you looking at S4's as well? At one point I strongly considered a bi-turbo S4 (I have an Audi background), but ultimitely went for the Supra.

Agree completely. You do need to know a decent amount about a supra to own one (or just cars in general). I say go with the vpc (discontinued) which gets rid of the maf, and tune with an safc (very easy). In order to keep your car problem free, keep as much stock as possible (stock fan, stock guages, stock shifter, etc). Toyota didn't mess up much on this car. A 61mm turbo should keep you happy. My 57, which is easily small by todays standards made 460rwhp on pump gas, and 533rwhp on race gas and plenty left. I was limited by the stock fuel system.

You will miss the z06, but supra is totally different beast. You can't go wrong, but many supras do lose their new feel and require refreshing of many parts to keep the new feel (a-arm bushings, suspension components). Other than that you will have fun. Its fun gaining easy horsepower on a supra, but after a certain point comes a price, and its not cheap to do it right.

-Corey

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cord4530 said:

thanks for the detailed opinion, and in reference to the s4, haha yes. i sold my b5 s4 for the z06. It was stage 2, pretty fun...but it had problems every other week and i just couldnt take it anymore. Z06 hasn't had one problem yet (aside from tires :rofl: ). But going from a biturbo car to a fatty v8, i do love the instant torque. But i do miss the turbos sometimes. It's just a completely different feel. Plus, i'm very young and i get the "mid life crisis" comment a lot for owning a vette. But shoot me a link to the ad on the single turbo supra u said. I won't be buying one for about another year but i'd like to just take a quick peak and such

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Here's the link to the Alpine Hardtop for sale:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367172

Also, Alex D has a 93 Anthracite HT that's painted Alpine Silver and is occasionally for sale. It's hella fast though and a little more pricey than Steve's car. But it's got a LOT done to it as well.

I hear ya on the Audis. I loved the two I had, but it was one little thing after another. I've never had any car give me as much (annoying problem) trouble as my Audis 8^(

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
A 600hp or a 1000hp supra can be daily driven. The question is if everything is done right to make daily driver friendly. Do you have the supporting mods to fill the void for those occasional highway punchs on the way to work? Will the clutch you choose be ok for daily driving? The thing thats makes cars not daily driver friendly are heavy clutches, big stall autos. AEMs not tuned properly or piggybacks not tuned properly. Improper installations that leave the car unrealiable and questionable road worthy. Other than those things i don't see why you couldn't daily drive it.
I occasionally drive my supra to school and work just because i enjoy driving it. I carefully picked out all my components and tuned the car so it was capable of daily driving and long trips and had peace of mind because I made sure to not skimp on any installation. The greatest thing about turbo cars is the driveability and street manners. They don't have to be heavily cammed nor excessive gearing to get them moving quickly. The fuel mileage is better and its much more tame with ability to make big power on demand with such a mild engine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts