Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cylinder Magenta Bangle Auto part Font
Im buying a Supra this Sunday it comes with these Coilovers I know there hks but can’t really find these purple ones anywhere I can’t figure out what they are or there worth

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't know specifically, but often older coilovers need or should have a rebuild. You can roughly check their rebound etc and decide. I'm guessing HKS>Megan Racing, but I'm going solely off branding here.

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
Those are HKS Hypermax II's if they say 'Damper' on the tag, they're HKS Hyper-D (higher spring rates, intended for track/drifting etc) if they say Hyper-D on the bottom of the tag. These are older style coilovers that cannot adjust height without changing spring preload.

Either way they're long discontinued, and likely need a rebuild. Weirdos like me would be interested in them just out of nostalgia, but if you were shopping now there's new stuff available that's superior like the Feal 441's or Fortune Auto 500's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those are HKS Hypermax II's if they say 'Damper' on the tag, they're HKS Hyper-D (higher spring rates, intended for track/drifting etc) if they say Hyper-D on the bottom of the tag. These are older style coilovers that cannot adjust height without changing spring preload.

Either way they're long discontinued, and likely need a rebuild. Weirdos like me would be interested in them just out of nostalgia, but if you were shopping now there's new stuff available that's superior like the Feal 441's or Fortune Auto 500's.
Are the Feal 443s really worth almost $6k?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Considering the Feal 443s have 3 independent adjustments for rebound, low-speed and high-speed compression, they are quite fancy.

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
Are the Feal 443s really worth almost $6k?
Considering that a similar three-way adjustable coilover setup from Penske or Moton starts around $8-10k by the time it's ready for your chassis of choice, yes.
An 'install-ready' three way adjustable kit built to your desired specs and purposes for $6k is a pretty good value if you're that sort of customer. Few are.

IMHO Suspension is the most under-funded part of most builds. It surprises me about many people will comfortably spend $3000 on a turbo, $2000 on a manifold, $3500 on wheels, and $8000 on a built longblock - but balk at the idea of spending $1500 on a set of decent coilovers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Considering that a similar three-way adjustable coilover setup from Penske or Moton starts around $8-10k by the time it's ready for your chassis of choice, yes.
An 'install-ready' three way adjustable kit built to your desired specs and purposes for $6k is a pretty good value if you're that sort of customer. Few are.

IMHO Suspension is the most under-funded part of most builds. It surprises me about many people will comfortably spend $3000 on a turbo, $2000 on a manifold, $3500 on wheels, and $8000 on a built longblock - but balk at the idea of spending $1500 on a set of decent coilovers.
I hear you - I've been budgeting around $3k for coilovers, then saw these were 2x that and went "Ok, but are they really that much better?"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts