Supra Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can get a free loaner spring compressor at AutoZone. Just be careful. Don't remove the piston rod lock nut until the spring tension has been compressed beyond pushing against the top suspension support and the bottom of the shock bracket. Break the piston rod lock nut loose on the car but leave it on until you compress the spring off the car. Make a note where the TEMS modules are pointing when you remove them from the car. You will need metric tools, jacks, a torque wrench, penetrating oil and a lot of patients. If the dust cups, are still there be careful not to damage the aging foam that holds them to the top. Watch a couple of YouTube videos for orientation. The procedure is outlined in the online manual. Front suspension. and Rear suspension. The AutoZone spring compressor is in 2 pieces (unlike the manual) for each side of the spring. It's a bit of a dance to get them in the right places so that you can compress it enough and then when expanding so that it stays symmetrical. You don't want to loosen or tighten one side more than the other. It needs to be done evenly. Use the push locks at the top of each block to secure the spring safely. The manual says to bounce the car before tightening the A arm long bolt. That is to relieve tension in the rubber insulators so there are neither pushing up or down and at a neutral position. It's hard to do because the tire is in the way.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You can do it yourself if you have the jack, stands, and metric kit. Recommend some air though, makes it a lot easier and objectively safer vs pulling on a car on stands when you're under it. Otherwise, the shop you posted with the time machine in it can do it no problem.
Had no idea about the Tokico Illumina being disco'd. Is Tokico out of business? I had that Illumina/HR combo on a car before, was pretty good for a daily.
I'm planning on buying air bags for my long nosed cars and the CRX. Worth the price vs destroying lips and/or bumpers on a lowered car. Debacle is just where to mount the compressor in the bay in the front engined cars so you don't have to drill into the rear of the car and do a tank and all the long lines. Mid-rear shipped cars makes it super easy, just less space for groceries. :)

·
Registered
1989 Sport Roof White Pkg 7M-GTE + mods
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have none of these things. A Supra shop near me will do it for $350. I’m doing that.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts