Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i heard of this guy down the road from me lift his 1970 nova w/ 454 about 4feet of the ground and DROP his motor&trans, now i know my car is not a nova nor does it have a 454 in it, i was wondering if this could be done to a 7mgte? and if not why? ive never pulled a motor before and need some help becaus i have no engine hoist, but my friend has one that he might be able to let me borrow

3,796 Posts
It will be much easier to take it out of the top. You can drop it but its a pain in the ass. Im sure if you do a search on this forum you'll find a thread with some good info.

I pulled mine not too long ago...the only prob I came across was not knowin that the clutch fork neede to be removed cause a Toyota mechanic told me it would just pull right out:rolleyes:

If you run into problems, send me a PM and Ill help ya out.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did a search couldnt find nothing, i would really like to get my motor out in a few days but i would really like someone who has dealt with our cars before to be on hand cause everyone around here has stangs and muscle cars, does anyone know of someone in the ashland/lexington,ky area that can help?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
the suspension crossmember would be a pita to take out, just rent a cherry picker when you're ready (~$50/day or ~$250 for a cheapy from kragens)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and how the hell do i get this damn ecu to fit through the glove box, i have the thing free it just seems to akward to come out or something

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
:scratch: The four plugs unclip from the ecu, and you pull the wiring harness into the engine bay (and out with the engine)

A

·
0 Posts
If you're trying to get the ecu through the firewall, I strongly advise you take your car to a import shop with at least some knowledge of the MKIII Supra, or go to the toyota dealer - This sounds like trouble in the making.

3,796 Posts
Just leave the wiring harness in the engine bay. Disconnect the fuel injectors, vsv's, cps, tps, all the connections on the thermostat housing...etc and then remove the intake manifold (or at least the upper half) annd you can pull the motor with the harness still in the car. Ill post pics once I resize/host them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im just trying to get the ecu through the glove box hole, but i just did it and got my wiring harness through the firewal so all is ready, droped the driveshaft and is there really no one around my area that can come help me, the nearest yoda dealer is 50 miles away, and they wanted 45 bucks just to talk to me

3,796 Posts
I would leave the trans in...thats how I did it. Remove the trans suppors and drop it so the oil pan sits on the crossmember...this will allow you to get to the top two bolts that hold the trans to the block. Just rent an engine hoist and get a buddy to help ya...its really not that hard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im having to do this solo due to no one around here liking imports, im a bit of a loner, but i have dropped a few tranny's and already looked at and am pretty sure i can do it on my own, could i use a couple of hydraulic jacks to lower the trans?

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Use a hoist to pull the engine. For the trans, I've just used my floor jack to lower it.....it's a balancing act but doable. I hope you are using the TSRM.....best thing if you are still learning how to work on your supra. Good luck and be careful working alone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i cant figure out this edit thing, but i want to clean my engine bay is it safe to wash it out or sandblast and repaint when i have my car repainted?

T

·
0 Posts
It is much easier to pull the eng & trans together. Trust me...I've pulled a 7m 5 times and installed 4 times. Did it once without and tried to reinstall transmission from underneath...sucked ass. The trans is very hard to perfectly line up with the engine once it is in the car.

You can wash/paint the inside, but be careful not to get anything into the intercooler, or remove it first (if equipped). I dumped power-clean all over the engine comparment then hosed it out...turned out good. Car runs fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, ill leave the tranny, i found someone a min. ago that is going to come help me, he even used to have one and had to pull the motor and put a new one in, he said we could do in a few hours? he does it all the time but not w/7mgte but he is nice enough to come help me out so i dont care, people around here hate on any imports and he said they were good cars so i think he is the only cool person around here, hes an older guy is there anything i should look out for while pulling other than whats on threads, any little tricks that have to be done? any help would be helpful becaus we are doing it in a little bit?

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
It's easier to pull the engine w/o the tranny and easier to install it w/trans bolted up. It is a PITA to line up...esp from under the car :D Have fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts