Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mkay, it isnt bad.....but I'm pretty sure I have a BHG. Car hesitates at startup, tends to 'lose' coolant, and the check engine light is on.

I did a search, and haven't found the info that I was looking for. Anyone know any sights with pics that can give me a heads up on replacing it with a MHG, and what gaskets and stuff Imma need for it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
apr head bolt kit and a mhg a great place to start is TSRM it would tell u the torque specs and how to take the head off one bolt at a time... good luck man and when torqueing the head down make shure to torque it 10 pounds more then stock just to be safe i think stock is 72ftlbs of torq.

101 POST WAHOOO!!

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
Stock is 54 or 55 ft-lbs, that's a major reason there is BHG problems. 72-85 ft-lbs should be fine. Just don't you dare use stock headbolts, get ARP studs preferably or ARP bolts at least.

Get on the horn with Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota and order the factory TSRM and go at it. Have fun! I've done 5 headgaskets in various supras so far, its not such a big deal when you get better at it lol.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
The torque specification is a minor attributing factor to BHG's. The single most common cause is running low-octane fuel under higher than stock boost.

The car should never be run on lower than 91 octane, even at stock boost, so far as I'm concerned. If you turn up the boost, crank up the octane, and you'll never blow a head gasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.