Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add washers to my strut bolt and i was wondering if i need to take the whole strut and spring out or can i just pop my speaker covers off in my trunk and take the bolt off there without causing a problem with the spring flying off. It is the bolt that tensions the spring down and holds it tight. Im guessing it would be ok as long as the weight of the car is putting pressure on the spring, but i dunno???

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
as long as the car is on the ground and not being supported on jacks, then the weight of the car will keep the springs compressed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bud...but i got another problem on one of the struts when i try too tighten or loosen that bolt it just spins the whole rod and wont loosen or tighten nomore. it acts like it is stripped...and suggestiones???

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Csupratt93 said:
thanks bud...but i got another problem on one of the struts when i try too tighten or loosen that bolt it just spins the whole rod and wont loosen or tighten nomore. it acts like it is stripped...and suggestiones???
The top plate that holds the sping in place locks the centre shaft from turning

If thats worn then air tools will undo nicley or a vice gripe onto the very top of the shaft

:rockon:

·
Registered
343 Posts
You need to hold the rod while loosen the nut. If you'll notice the top of the rod it has two flats sides. You put an open end wrench on that while you have one on the nut and you can then loosen the nut. Don't know if you'll be able to do this without taking the interior apart though. GL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill prolly just rip the struts out and do it. the reason im trying to avoid that is cuz i just took the spring tool back that i rented.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that bolt dont have the washers on it to keep it from making that knocking noise will it hurt to drive it?

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
You can undo the bolt even if it turns the rod while the shock is in the car. Look in the wheel well, at the very top of the shock, there is a dust boot up there, you can pull it down and that will reveal the flat part of the shock jason was talking about, vice grips should fit right in there between the coils of the springs if you jack up the car a little. Then you can turn off the bolt and hold the rod in place.

It won't hurt to allow them to knock though, I had mine like that for a while before I realized what the noise was. It's more annoying than anything.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sure is annoying..i just got back from taking a lil cruise and im just gonna let it sit till i get the time to replace it. I have no i dea how you drove your car like that for so long cuz it annoys the hell out of me...thanks for all the good suggestions tho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts