Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
woudl there be any problem using a 97-98 ECu in my 94 supra?

does ECU have anything to do with OBD1 or OBD2?

thanx

Jonas

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
i'm pretty sure you can use an OBD1 ecu in an OBD2 car with no problems, but not the other way without problems. the obd2 computer should have extra pin inputs that the obd1 wiring harness can't support.

Zerosoul said:

thanx

Jonas

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Zerosoul said:

thanx

Jonas
OBD1 or 2 is the software that the ECU is programmed with. Well, techically since it's a chip it's more firmware but I digress.
That is basically what the ECU is about. I have A 94. I sent u an email

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
If you have details on the conversion I'd like to hear about them, one of my buddies just asked me about swapping his 97 auto ECU w/ a 94 that he just got his hands on. What modifications need to be made if any.

Jonas,

I can't see any point in swapping you ECU w/ and OBD2 one, that is basically the opposite of what most people would want to do.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the thing is 94 ECU runs lean...and frankly speaking I rather run rich than lean.
I now have 2 guys confirming with me that when they use 94 ECU in their 97 supras, both of their A/F jumps up to 13-14:1
I find it hard to believe its a coicidence...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
andi's car did this but it was more then just the ecu causing it. a 94 ecu in a 94 should run just fine... ie. rich, but when you transplant a 94 ecu into a 97/98 to solve obd2 problems you get problems with lean a/f.

in other words, if you are hoping of solving a/f problems in a 94 with a 97 ecu, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you know what was wrong with Andis car when he ran lean using 94ECU?

·
Registered
473 Posts
OK, how about putting a 97 ECU on a 94? Not having oneof each here to compare them physically, I can't testify as to pin differences, but this A/F situation has me concerned....

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
MANY ppl run the pre obd2 ecu in their 97-98 cars. I know Noel Samael of Dallas has been running a 95 ECU in his 98 for some time now (he has a 730 rwhp to4r). I soon (in the next week) will be running a 95 ECU in my 98 too, hopefully no problems....
Peter

·
Registered
341 Posts
so why do you want to put a 97+ ecu in your 94-95 supra? i have a 97 with the 94 gforce ecu also. But i wanna know why you would want the 97+ ecu with obd2?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts