Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Red Beast
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 94 TT auto BPU+ thinking swap for 6speed but to much money now thinking swap for R154 with my auto rear end for $3000 with installation and how many supra out their are doing the as me?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
thats an expensive swap for a r154. and you cant afford a v160?

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
wrong section...but there is a guy selling a v120 in the for sale forum for 3200...2 more than your about to pay. v120>r154>w58

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
a v160 swap is EXPENSIVE! 3k for the trans 1500 for the rear (and axles I think are different so another 200 or so), a driveshaft (i dunno 100-200 or 500 for an upgrade?) then labor I'm sure.. thats like 5000-600 just in parts + labor, and thats not the pedals nor interior peices.. 3k installed 5spd swap (assuming w/ ds) isn't too bad..

It depends what kind of driving you do? drag racing, I would go v160, if just highway stuff r154 is fine.. at least I hope.. once I slap on my 67 I'll see how well it handles 600whp launching off a 2 step :nervous:

seriously if you want a v160 its almost cheaper and deffenatly easaier to sell your auto and buy a 6spd car

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
^ Yeah, I don't know what the guys above you are talking about. a V160 swap can eat up $10k easy.

Good thing about the R154 is if you do break it, there's inexpensive replacements to be found pretty easily.

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
He's saying, if you go right now to the for-sale section, there is a FULL swap for sale for 3200... I seen it yesterday aswell :)

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
I think I see it. That would be a killer deal but that's just parts.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
He's saying, if you go right now to the for-sale section, there is a FULL swap for sale for 3200... I seen it yesterday aswell :)
including the diff? if so thats a steal! probably not the diff though, so add 1500 for that + axles..

·
2JZA70
2,537 Posts
^ Yeah, I don't know what the guys above you are talking about. a V160 swap can eat up $10k easy.

Good thing about the R154 is if you do break it, there's inexpensive replacements to be found pretty easily.
thats a little high. it would be more like 6-7 k

·
2JZA70
2,537 Posts
I have 94 TT auto BPU+ thinking swap for 6speed but to much money now thinking swap for R154 with my auto rear end for $3000 with installation and how many supra out their are doing the as me?
If your going to do a manual conversion just bite the bullet and do a proper 6 speed swap. It all bolts in, is bulletproof and will increase the value of the car in the end.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
thats a little high. it would be more like 6-7 k
I suppose it's dependant on how much you buy the parts for. A friend of mine spent around the 10k mark but he also had the 6spd rebuilt... This was a 5spd to 6spd swap though. Not sure how much price difference there is between a 5spd>6spd and auto>6spd swap.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
There's a guy local that did an auto to 6 speed conversion. All parts new from Toyota, plus labour ended up costing him about $10k canadian. That was keeping the auto rear end though.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
HP doesn't kill things, torque does

R154 takes a lot of abuse, but doesn't like shock loads (thrust washer will shatter), I'd be more concerned with the clutch...

Look at Duane. he had his R154 rebuild before using it and hasn't had an issue with it yet...

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
pressure kills things... i could break the tranny with a stock engine wiht big enough tires and gears

·
Got 2JZ MkIII???
244 Posts
HP doesn't kill things, torque does

R154 takes a lot of abuse, but doesn't like shock loads (thrust washer will shatter), I'd be more concerned with the clutch...

Look at Duane. he had his R154 rebuild before using it and hasn't had an issue with it yet...
on the thrust washer thing i thought most of you guys replace that with a billet chrome moly piece? cause the stock one isnt the strongest made piece around.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I haven't had the need to upgrade mine yet ;)

I will have to rebuild this tranny soon, second gear grinds when I shift fast, and first gear doesn't like to engage if I'm moving at all...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts