Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is kind of a stupid question, but what's the difference between an open and closed deck? What are the advantages or disadvantages to both?

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
open - better cooling, longer engine life, cant hold as much power. can be sleeved to hold more power though, with less coolant flow however.

closed - opposite of all of above.

although engine life could be debated depending on design, build etc...

open - stock sleeves

open with modified sleeves

closed deck

·
6,137 Posts
its more like an open deck with supports...

semi-closed deck

Reactions: Dresden

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, another stupid question, what is sleeving?

Seeing the pics more closely now I can see how the open deck gets better cooling and all. So I assume sleeving fills the gap that surounds the "piston wall" ??

Also is the 2jz an open or closed deck? I'm assuming closed but I have no idea.

·
4,109 Posts
Supra is closed deck. I think you have the ssleeving deal right...

·
6,137 Posts
Iamthebull said:
Ok, another stupid question, what is sleeving?

Seeing the pics more closely now I can see how the open deck gets better cooling and all. So I assume sleeving fills the gap that surounds the "piston wall" ??

in a way. it just doesnt fill the gap, it replaces the cylinder sleeves themselves after maching the block. your essentially knocking out the old cylinder sleeves and replacing them with soild or drilled ones that will allow less flex,more rigidity etc.

http://www.customdesignperformance.com/ecatalog/aebs_sleeves.html

they also make smaller braces that dont require as much machine work, but they suck to be quite honest. I think your thinking more along those lines...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts