Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should my SBC-id be hooked in to both turbos or just one if I am in sequential mode?

Does the first turbo kick out when the second one kicks in? Are they both the same size or is the front one bigger? One more thing, I am running a sbc-id boost controller. I was told to just hook it into the front turbo that kicks in around 4500rpm since I am running sequential mode still and if I go TTC that is when I would hook it to both turbos. Is this right and is this how all of you have your's setup? A friend who owns a talon told me that I should have the boost controller hooked to both regardless. What is true?

SwamiBob

·
Registered
532 Posts
both turbos are same size.....sequential means they run from 1 turbo then 2 turbos. heres how it works. when accelerating, turbo 1 will spool around 2200 rpms u will feel the turbo pushing the car, then from around 3300-4400 rpms (correct if im wrong), it will accererate slower as some of the air from turbo 1 will help prespool turbo 2, turbo 2 will be spooled and ready to go at 4500 rpms. from this point on, u will have both turbos pushing the car, u will feel a noticable kick at 4500 that is the power of the 2nd turbo coming online. if u run ttc, that means that both turbos spool at the same time. full boost will hit at 4300 rpms or so. this is a little better for turbo 2 b/c it wont slam start the 2nd turbo and will help prolong the life of number 2. but the car is pretty slow til u hit 4300 rpms. its not much of a problem in gear 1 and 2. but say if your goin 30-45 and u punch it, the car will not really go til u hit upper rpm area, since your 1st turbo is not working at low rpm range. so if u have to race someone, then you have to downshift it. where as seq u can kinda punch it since the first turbo will spool down low. i presonally would prefer seq, since that way u have power throughout the rpm range. but others really like the true twin conversion, try it and see if u like it, u can always go back to normal. hope this helps
kevin

W

·
0 Posts
I noticed your auto. Keep it sequential for auto. B/c it is so much harder for us to control our RPM (vs. a 6spd) we really need a wider power band. If your run true-twin, it will be much harder to keep your turbos spooled. I've played with it some but I've also heard lots of people say the same thing. Hope this helps.

·
Man Of Leisure
15 Posts
aznsupra said:
this is a little better for turbo 2 b/c it wont slam start the 2nd turbo and will help prolong the life of number 2.
This isn't true, because before the second turbo comes online it is prespooled; you don't slam start it. The bottom gate opens before the top gate does, so the turbo is already spooling by the time the top gate opens.

Now, the EBV mod causes the first turbo to boost more, thus prespooling the second turbo less, but several members on the mailing list have run this mod for 20-30k without a problem. Of course, mileage may vary...

but say if your goin 30-45 and u punch it, the car will not really go til u hit upper rpm area, since your 1st turbo is not working at low rpm range. so if u have to race someone, then you have to downshift it. where as seq u can kinda punch it since the first turbo will spool down low.
kevin
Actually, in TTC the first turbo is working just fine at low rpm. It just isn't creating the same amount of boost that it does when it is in SEQ. Also, if you're racing someone, you should never start below 4k rpm, preferably 4500-5000 anyways. I don't know many successful street racers who start off at low rpm's in higher gears...

You just have to remember that in TTC, the turbo system works like any other older, simple parallel turbo setup would. I think TTC is better, because if the actuator were to get stuck and not open the top gate (rarely happens but it could), then you can kiss your #2 bye-bye. Also, since you don't waste boost prespooling the second turbo, you actually have full boost sooner in TTC then in SEQ. You also have better fuel economy in TTC, because for day to day driving vaccum is sufficent. Lastly, there's a horrible boost spike in SEQ at bpu, and it isn't too good for fast cornering...

But to each their own...

·
Man Of Leisure
15 Posts
WinglessTurbo said:
I noticed your auto. Keep it sequential for auto. B/c it is so much harder for us to control our RPM (vs. a 6spd) we really need a wider power band. If your run true-twin, it will be much harder to keep your turbos spooled. I've played with it some but I've also heard lots of people say the same thing. Hope this helps.
If you're auto you might want to try Jeff Lee's ETTC mod, it works pretty well. Just make sure your pressure tank is working properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts