Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop by me would like to see some proof that gte heads are capable of flowing that much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I can see if i can find my sheets. If not im sure i have a friend who has made over 300 cfm. Will let you know. :D

For faster sheets contact headgames... i'm sure they have plenty

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SteelCitySupra said:
it can be done... some people/companies i know say it isnt possible. But i have seen a shop put out close to 310cfms at 400 lift.
hmm i have heard rumors that different benches show different results. I don't know how they work but the porter who i spoke to does some of the work for a few of the top supra guys and he can't get more than 280-290 out of one. He has been doing this work for 25 years and the shop is highly reputable and has been around for a very long time. What else was weird was that i have seen people post stock flow numbers that were better than a mildy ported head. That just doesn't make sense to me.

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
I have heard that different Flow benches show different numbers.... but i dont think they are going to show a 20cfm difference....

who knows?

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Some people don't know what they're doing. What's weird about that?

spooldup said:
What else was weird was that i have seen people post stock flow numbers that were better than a mildy ported head. That just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
SteelCitySupra said:
it can be done... some people/companies i know say it isnt possible. But i have seen a shop put out close to 310cfms at 400 lift.
is that at 28"? if it is i'd have to call bs on that one. i've never even seen a gte head flow anywhere near that even at .500" lift.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You should consider who you're talking shit to before grilling someone like that. Sushi probably knows more than 99.5% of the people on this forum about the 2JZ motor including the headflow numbers which he's done on my head as well as a few others. He was just kidding and was probably going to post a sheet before he read your dumbfuck answer.

bdekoning said:
shut the fuck up unless you can post something relevent

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Is there even a useful set of cams available that would take advantage of a head that flowed well at .400 or .500 lift?

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
1300rwhp said:
is that at 28"? if it is i'd have to call bs on that one. i've never even seen a gte head flow anywhere near that even at .500" lift.
Ive seen the sheets saying 307cfm @ 400lift. i dont know the specs, im just tellin ya what i saw.

·
Registered
371 Posts
silvino said:
Is there even a useful set of cams available that would take advantage of a head that flowed well at .400 or .500 lift?
yeah, drag cams. the cam won't be your biggest problem, you can get that custom ground anyway. the size of your buckets is your limiting factor when trying to get lift near .500".

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
I believe Peter Blach posted his SHP (now AutoBanh) ported head flowed 295 cfm at .400 lift with HKS 272 cams and 1 mm oversize valves. This is one of the better numbers that I recall. Embarrassingly, I can't remember my own numbers from the work Port Flow did on my head many years ago, but Peter's 295 cfm seems damn good to me.

Sil, the work on your head was real good also as I recall. Do you have any numbers you care to post although, like me, it appeared, from the pics and descriptions I recall, to be more velocity-based rather than maximized outright flow?

Ken.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I got the flow numbers using the same bench from SHP, West Coast cylinder, and my local guy. One customer with SHP and another customer with West Coast, both were told 300+ at .400. Not even 290 @ .500 when we tested.

"it can be done... some people/companies i know say it isnt possible. But i have seen a shop put out close to 310cfms at 400 lift." There is this guy from Chicago that is quite the salesman.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Indeed mine was inteded for more street use than a full blown port job for a serious drag motor or some such. I admit I didn't need to get the oversized valves but what's done is done.

Here's link with my flow sheet and pictures. The flow tests were done with intake (stock) and exhaust (RPS, regular) manifolds ON.

http://www.silvino.net/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=4

KenHenderson said:
I believe Peter Blach posted his SHP (now AutoBanh) ported head flowed 295 cfm at .400 lift with HKS 272 cams and 1 mm oversize valves. This is one of the better numbers that I recall. Embarrassingly, I can't remember my own numbers from the work Port Flow did on my head many years ago, but Peter's 295 cfm seems damn good to me.

Sil, the work on your head was real good also as I recall. Do you have any numbers you care to post although, like me, it appeared, from the pics and descriptions I recall, to be more velocity-based rather than maximized outright flow?

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Cool. Thanks, Sil. I remember HeadGames, in another thread, saying that total, outright flow was not necessarily the goal. He said he had done heads for Bullish that had huge flow numbers and the cars weren't as quick or as fast as he thought they would be. Obviously, he didn't go into detail, but he did allow that his velocity-based porting that had less outright flow was the approach he believes works best, especially for high performance street cars, and that intake air velocity and cylinder filling were key to a good head. BLK MGK had his head done by HeadGames. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

Ken.

·
Registered
274 Posts
pheobo said:
Headgames? just curious... what's the contact?
I don't have the info handy but let me research for a few and i will pm that over to ya.

Ken: Thats them. I have been told very good things about them... Where did you get your head ported?

Thanks, A.J.
:D

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
PM Supra said:
"it can be done... some people/companies i know say it isnt possible. But i have seen a shop put out close to 310cfms at 400 lift." There is this guy from Chicago that is quite the salesman.
:confused: what?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts