Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if you could run the stock 9.5 in rims on the front or if anyone has tried it. It would be cool to run 9.5's on all four corners......

·
3,148 Posts
You will have to cut a tab off the front caliper before they will fit. Other than this they should work well if the spokes on the wheel will clear the caliper. You could run 265/40R18's on the front.

Later, Steve

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve Jarvis said:
You will have to cut a tab off the front caliper before they will fit. Other than this they should work well if the spokes on the wheel will clear the caliper. You could run 265/40R18's on the front.

Later, Steve
Hey Steve I was wondering why you have so little horsepower with the SP63? Are you still on stock fuel? Thinking about buying that exact Turbo kit. Thanks

·
3,148 Posts
Only on the Supraforums can you be accused of having "so little horsepower" when your making 526rwhp. :) I am on stock fuel and stock MAF. I was also on 93 octane pump gas so I didn't want to push my luck.

Later, Steve

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
I had exactly the same idea and I have done it. I ground the tab off from the inside of the front calipers. The one problem is looks because at 50mm offset and the wheel width of 9.5" causes the tires to stick outside of the fender about a 1/2". I had the 275/40ZR17's mounted on the rear wheels and so it might be a little different with something like 255's on the rear wheels and mounted on the front. My idea was to have the same size tires front and rear so I could rotate them. One of these days if I am around someone where I can try their 255 rears on the front of my car then I could tell more about how it might look. Of course I could't drive the car with the 275's on front because they rubbed badly. I also have stock suspension.

Right now I am running Falken ZE-502 255/40ZR17's on the front and 275/40ZR17's on the rear. These tires seem to be excellent tires by the way. Also the recommended minimum wheel width for 255's is 8.5" whereas the stock wheels are 8" so I am streching it to use this size of tires on the 8" stock front wheels. I think I may try 245/45's for the front and 265/40's for the rear the next time around although I don't feel there is any trouble with what I am using now.

Since I have been there and done that I hope this answers all of your questions.

R5-Turbo said:
I was just wondering if you could run the stock 9.5 in rims on the front or if anyone has tried it. It would be cool to run 9.5's on all four corners......

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that kinda answers my question. I guess the thing to do is run a 255 or 245 in the front on the 9.5 in rims. Thanks for the info. The thing now is to find some TT rear rims.....

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
If and when you do it please let us all know how you feel about the installation. Personally I didn't like the looks of the tire sticking outside of the fender and that is the main reason I haven't pursued it any further.

R5-Turbo said:
Well, that kinda answers my question. I guess the thing to do is run a 255 or 245 in the front on the 9.5 in rims. Thanks for the info. The thing now is to find some TT rear rims.....

·
3,148 Posts
That doesn't seem to make sense. I have 265/35R18 on 18x9.5" 50mm offset and my tire doesn't stick outside the fender at all. As a matter of fact I just received some new 275/35R18's that I am putting on my 18x9.5" front wheel. Maybe the stock rear wheels aren't really a 50mm offset. I have to look at some a verify it one last time.

Later, Steve

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
I don't know Steve about not making sense but remember I said I had 275/40ZR17's on those wheels when I tried them on the front and they rubbed badly when I tried to turn with them and the outside edge of the tire was about 1/2" out past the edge of the fender. Something else that exaggerated the whole look was that I stuck the 255/40ZR17's from the front still mounted on the stock front wheels on the back and of course they were set way back...haha... Let us know how you do and how yours look when you get them mounted.

Steve Jarvis said:
That doesn't seem to make sense. I have 265/35R18 on 18x9.5" 50mm offset and my tire doesn't stick outside the fender at all. As a matter of fact I just received some new 275/35R18's that I am putting on my 18x9.5" front wheel. Maybe the stock rear wheels aren't really a 50mm offset. I have to look at some a verify it one last time.

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
My 265/35R18 should be about the same width as your 275/40R17 so the look should be very similar. You can see them pics on my website at www.geocities.com/steve_jarvis_me
You will need to cut and past the link for it to work.

Later, Steve

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Steve I looked at the picture and I can't tell because the front wheel is turned. I also looked up section widths and there might be about a half an inch difference between your tire and mine and if there was that only make mine stick out a quarter of an inch more than yours...haha... Well what can I say. I don't disagree with what you have but am only telling what I saw with my experience of putting the rear wheel with the 275/40ZR17's on the front. I wish now that I would have taken a picture of it. I might just jack it up and do that one of these days and take a picture of it to have so I can look at it whenever I want to...haha...

You're the wheel and tire size expert herein and I sure don't want to sound like I am arguing with you. I sure appreciate your knowledge and your sharing with everybody here on the forum and offering of yourself in the form of suggestions to all who have asked. Thanks Steve so much for doing that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts