Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got silver not the chrome ones on my 95, are the chrome ones just polished and not chrome?

Does anyone know how much it would cost to polish the silver ones out?

Im also thinking maybe painting them because they are scraped and the center caps are all dark and faded. Any suggestions?

here is a pic..

·
Old School
4,125 Posts
They can be polished or chromed. Chrome is much easier to care for and looks good against black paint.

I had mine chromed about 4 years ago, ~$125 ea for a perfect job. Still look 100% like they did the day they were done.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are the stock TT wheels chromed or polished? i thought it was a pain in the butt to chrome aluminum?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
You could strip the paint/clearcoat off and polish them. Took me about 3 hours per wheel (I have sawblades - mk3). They are mirror finish now and look damn near chromed, cost maybe $30 and took about 2 nights to do. Pics in sig are about a week before I polished them. Compliments up the ass after I polished them :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
stock TT wheels definitely came polished - mine are that way on a 98. there is some speculation that some of the 97/98s were chrome too.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
I would just chrome them...........you'll thank me later when u go to clean them.............or you'll tell me I was right after you go to clean your polished ones :p

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AGlobalThreat said:
You could strip the paint/clearcoat off and polish them. Took me about 3 hours per wheel (I have sawblades - mk3). They are mirror finish now and look damn near chromed, cost maybe $30 and took about 2 nights to do. Pics in sig are about a week before I polished them. Compliments up the ass after I polished them :bigthumb:
give me some pics!!! [email protected] what did you use to strip the paint, assetone, paint thinner blah blah? and what did you use to polish and how or where... do tell me more!! :rolleyes:

Josh M said:
I would just chrome them...........you'll thank me later when u go to clean them.............or you'll tell me I was right after you go to clean your polished ones :p
i prob would!! but then again its like $130 per wheel and im broke as a joke right now after buying this car recently soo... i kinda need a cheap route, like AGlobalThreat he did it for like $30!! thats exactly what im looking for!... well for now atleast, till i save up and then maybe get them chromes or might end up getting another set of wheels, who knows.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Polished/Chromed by a professional: $120 average per wheel.
DIY: 1/5th the price of that.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VINZE said:
Polished/Chromed by a professional: $120 average per wheel.
DIY: 1/5th the price of that.
vince you gotta do mine... its nick by the way from sacramento, i almost bought you rolling chassis ... i finally got the freaken SF name!!

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Just go to home depot and buy 3 cans of paint stripper.

Drop your wheels, spray all of them down, wipe away what you get on the tires. Wait about 20 minutes and I used some steel wool to rub off the existing clearcoat and any dirt or grime that was left. Make sure to wear gloves because it will burn your fuckin hands :run:. Then if they still have some clearcoat on them, spray a little bit more where you need it, wait some more time till the clearcoat lifts, and rub it off. Wash off, dry, and use some polish and polish them up with some rags/paper towels.

There is NO WAY you will regret doing this. Cleaning them is easy, they practically deflect water and they will have a mirror like finish and look almost chromed.

The best part about this is it only costs about $20, maybe 4 hours of work (Depending on how many wheels at once), and if you still aren't satisfied you can just go and chrome them.

I don't have any pics of mine yet (Got more exterior mods to add this week, then wash/wax and photo shoot this weekend hopefully), but I'll search for a link right now that I read about that showed me how to do this.

Edit:
Here's my old post: http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279852&highlight=polishing+sawblades
Here's a forum link for someone who also did it and has pics: http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=651

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
sell them to me and just buy a chrome pair from someone...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AGlobalThreat said:
Just go to home depot and buy 3 cans of paint stripper.

Drop your wheels, spray all of them down, wipe away what you get on the tires. Wait about 20 minutes and I used some steel wool to rub off the existing clearcoat and any dirt or grime that was left. Make sure to wear gloves because it will burn your fuckin hands :run:. Then if they still have some clearcoat on them, spray a little bit more where you need it, wait some more time till the clearcoat lifts, and rub it off. Wash off, dry, and use some polish and polish them up with some rags/paper towels.

There is NO WAY you will regret doing this. Cleaning them is easy, they practically deflect water and they will have a mirror like finish and look almost chromed.

The best part about this is it only costs about $20, maybe 4 hours of work (Depending on how many wheels at once), and if you still aren't satisfied you can just go and chrome them.

I don't have any pics of mine yet (Got more exterior mods to add this week, then wash/wax and photo shoot this weekend hopefully), but I'll search for a link right now that I read about that showed me how to do this.

Edit:
Here's my old post: http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279852&highlight=polishing+sawblades
Here's a forum link for someone who also did it and has pics: http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=651
thanks for that info. Some guys at the detailing section were like, it took em 6 hours to do one wheel.. and kept telling me not to do it because ill regret it. I might if it takes 6 hours a wheel. But from what you are saying it takes faster than i thought.

I do have some curb rash on them. So ill have to use some sandpaper and get it to be smooth after i remove all the paint and such.

What polishing stuff did you use? and did you do it by hand or with a buffer? If you get some pics of the wheels, id love to see them. thanks!!

and +1 for you :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts