Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IUCK FSLAM
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pictures aren't that great but it's the best I could do before it started raining.

At that edge it looks like the clear coat it very thin and its starting to crack up into what looks like tiny spiders web. I've only had the car professionally polished one time and I've always used wax, never polish, on my car. Is there any way to clean this up or will I just polish through the clear coat? I've kept the pics pretty big so you can see the area more clearly.

Thanks in advance.

·
IUCK FSLAM
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it's on the roof and it's an eclipse :(

S

·
0 Posts
My bodyshop told me if the clear has not yet penetrated to the paint, you can reclear the car. Basically you sand and prep the clear you have now, and pant new clear over the entire car. He said it doesn't work if the clear has broken off and it is bare paint. I think it has something to do with the paint being exposed to elements.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It's almost too close of a pic.
Has the car been painted before?
Based on these pics, it looks like some trouble with the color, like a "wrinkling" o r "lifting" effect. Has this always been there that you know of?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Stealth021 said:
1) My bodyshop told me if the clear has not yet penetrated to the paint, you can reclear the car.

2) He said it doesn't work if the clear has broken off and it is bare paint. I think it has something to do with the paint being exposed to elements.

1) What the hell does that mean?

2) It means once clearcoat is broken through, you need new/more color sprayed back on. You can't break through clearcoat and effect the color without needing new color dusted in place before reapplying clear. Can't just clear over damaged color.....if you do, the clear doesn't fix anything that might be "wrong" with the color.

·
IUCK FSLAM
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clear coat has not been broken through but I'm sure it will soon. I found out that a little bit of polish got rid of some of the cloudy white but it left a majority of the little cracks.

If I put a thin layer of clear from a brush (the touch up paint) would that fill in those small cracks? If it was worth it I think could clean that stuff up and make it look half decent. I'd rather not paint my entire car.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
blkturbo! said:
Has the car been painted before?
Has this always been there that you know of?

If there's something actually wrong with the paint, a little wax and polish won't repair it. But again, I'm not sure from these ultra close pics and lack of any knowledge on the car's history.....maybe back off a couple inches on the zoom.

Reactions: P Rock

·
IUCK FSLAM
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh it's the original paint and it hasn't made it through to the paint I'm sure. I'll try to take some better pics tomorrow if need be.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
In that case, it sounds like simple sun damage...especially since it's an upper surface!

What year is the car?

·
IUCK FSLAM
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

I take that back, it may be damaged through to the surface but no paint is exposed. I'll take some better pics tomorrow morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts